Could i use this? (Wood Stove)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Carlos

Hearth Supporter
Oct 13, 2009
CT
Ive been wanting to get a wood stove for a while now, I just cant afford it. A friend was trying to be nice and gave me this, he said it need some love and care but i think you might be able to use it!

I has no lever or seal around the door to keep smoke from comming out. Do you guys see any other negatives that could help me decide what to do with this.

See pics attached

Attachments

• Could i use this? (Wood Stove)
    downsized_1012091506.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 285
    downsized_1012091505a.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 285
    downsized_1012091506b.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 265
I see no positives, if that helps any? Seriously - run. far. away.

(and welcome to the hearth! You're in the right spot to get the best advice :)

Sure you could use it no problem. Outside. Far, far away from any combustable structures.

In all seriousness, I wouldn't light that up with my family in the house. Sorry man. Scratch a little money together and keep browsing craig's list. A couple hundred bucks or even a little less will get you something safely usable if you know what to look for - just post links to any stoves you are considering and people here will be happy to check them out and let you know if they are safe.

It wouldnt be good to even heat up a garage?

Thanks for the help!

ehh! Good thing i asked! To the Metal yard with it! Thanks Fellas!

bring it to a paying scrap yard, at least you'll get a coupla bucks to put towards another stove

what you got there is NOT your run of the mill barrel stove. It looks like an electric water heater tank that has been modified with a rather large cooking area.
Since it is not UL listed it would need to be 3' from combustibles that means a 3' area. and from the looks of it it would need a foot print of about 10' X 10', which is quite large. not to mention that since it is not UL listed your insurance company may cancel your policy if you do put it in (check with your insurance company some are funny about wood stoves and the like).

If it were me I would keep looking for something UL listed.
There are good used stoves out there, but you got to be patent and be willing to pass on the bad stuff.

That's a smoker/grill. That's not a wood stove. However, there's been many a nice summers I've enjoyed with the same product. :)

Toss some charcoal in one side, throw in some hickory, and then toss in some steaks on the other side.

tiber said:
That's a smoker/grill. That's not a wood stove. However, there's been many a nice summers I've enjoyed with the same product. :)

Toss some charcoal in one side, throw in some hickory, and then toss in some steaks on the other side.

a horrizontal smoker with no shelf for meat and a flu size exit for the smoke?

take it to your local recycle shop ...its junk

I agree in that stove has trouble written all over it.

I just helped a guy in need move out of his apartment [evicted] and we took his stove and stashed it in my garage. He said he only wanted $100 for it so I gave him $100 and told him that if it sells for me he can have the rest. An older stove but better than that one for sure. I'll PM you ...

My vote is to pass on this stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.