Couldn't pass this up

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

newstove

Hearth Supporter
Mar 25, 2009
Central MA
So, yesterday, I'm doing my usual trawl on Craigslist looking for firewood to scounge/pick up cheap, and I find someone selling out the last of his wood, and he has 5 cords of C/S/D for $600. I figured, what the heck, let's check it out. I swap a few emails, and he lets me know he will deliver a fully packed, 28 yard dump, about 90% oak.

I decided to pull the trigger and give it a shot. He showed up, I checked it out - looks quite good. The truck measured up to be correct size (28 yards as advertised.) That's 756 cubic feet (5.9 cords) loose. I had him drop it in the driveway, I paid him his cash, and then off he went. Of course, my wife is looking at me like I'm nuts, but for $120 a cord, all the work already done but stacking it, I'll get ahead. Even if it's a full cord short (but doesn't look it) it will still be $150 a cord.

Then, this morning, I get a phone call. Same guy, said he managed to fill his truck up one more time with what he had left, and wanted to know if I wanted it. I told him I had plenty, and would have to figure out where to put it. He said $500. I said bring it out. :)

Same story again - pulls up, same truck packed to the gills, wood looks good, he drops it, I pay him his cash, and off he goes. I now have ~12 cords loose sitting in the driveway, for a price of $1,100. I already have ~6 cords out back for this year and next. I'm now set for the next 5 years. And, my wife doesn't think I'm nuts anymore - apparently I'm well past that. :) So, if the full 10 cords, that's $110 a cord. Even if it only comes out to 8-9 cords, that's still only $137-$122 a cord. Schweet!

And, of course, I know, I know, without pictures, it didn't happen. For reference, the truck in the driveway is an F250 Super Duty, the top of the rear of the bed is 4'10" high (I measured) and a little over 6' wide and the garage is 46' long.

IMG_0376.JPGIMG_0377.JPGIMG_0378.JPGIMG_0379.JPG

What is the going rate in your area?

Nice score & Good price.
Few minutes of stacking & the wood will be on it's way to becoming fire wood ;) (some good exercise piled up there ;) )
Will it get stacked near where it's at or have to be moved out back?
It will be interesting how much it is when all stacked up. Like you said, even if less than 10 cords it's still a good price for split & delivered.
Nice pictures!

Around here, lately the best I've seen is around $170 C/S/D. And, I've checked out a few - much of it is junk, and many around here are delivering under what they say they are (and get "moody" when you bring up that they've shorted you.)

Heck, even the best log-length price I've found around here is $100-110/cord - and then I have to do all the work.

As for stacking it - I want it to go around back. But, I'll use the truck or the garden tractor & trailer, depending on where I put it. In either case - that is what teenage boys are for, so I should rephrase - they will use the truck or the garden tractor & trailer. ;)

that's a beautiful thing

Nice score, I saw that ad but Im at 13 cords+ with more free wood to cut down so I didnt check it out. Your all set now but I know a couple sellers that sell c/s for $135/150 a cord in our area, I bought two a couple months back since I had room at the time. I got one oak and one mixed cord (maple, cherry, ash), stacked out to over two cords so no skimping.

Nice score, I saw that ad but Im at 13 cords+ with more free wood to cut down so I didnt check it out. Your all set now but I know a couple sellers that sell c/s for $135/150 a cord in our area, I bought two a couple months back since I had room at the time. I got one oak and one mixed cord (maple, cherry, ash), stacked out to over two cords so no skimping.

I'd love to find $135 a cord c/s/d... I'm adjacent to Middlesex County, so I'm barely in what is classified as Central MA. If you look around in this area, $170 c/s/d is a bargain. Just go a town or two east, and they are charging more than 2x that... Get near Boston, and you are looking at really silly numbers.

I'd love to find $135 a cord c/s/d... I'm adjacent to Middlesex County, so I'm barely in what is classified as Central MA. If you look around in this area, $170 c/s/d is a bargain. Just go a town or two east, and they are charging more than 2x that... Get near Boston, and you are looking at really silly numbers.

I thought you were another poster that lived in the town next to me, yeah, the further east you go the crazier it gets, I know those guys you got the wood from, they're having a tough time selling this year due to the milder winter and tornado that knocked down a ton of trees in town, glad they drove out to youre area because thats a good deal you got.

That is a great find for sure! Congratulations.

Now for the negative. I hate to say this because it was such a good deal but that wood should not be for burning this coming winter. Oak dries super slow. Around our house we don't burn oak until it has been split and stacked for 3 years. And if he told you it has been cut for x years, that is fine. When was it split? After splitting is when the drying begins.

That is a great find for sure! Congratulations.

Now for the negative. I hate to say this because it was such a good deal but that wood should not be for burning this coming winter. Oak dries super slow. Around our house we don't burn oak until it has been split and stacked for 3 years. And if he told you it has been cut for x years, that is fine. When was it split? After splitting is when the drying begins.

No negative - this wood won't be seeing the inside of my stove until at least the 2014-2015 winter. I always assume any wood that arrives here already split was split that day - that is when I start the timer ticking, regardless of what the dealer tells me.

I already have my 2012-2013 and 2013-2014 wood all stacked up and ready to go. The 2012-2013 was stacked up 3 years ago, the 2013-2014 was stacked up 2 years ago. I didn't do much last year. This delivery will be for the 2014-2015 and 2015-2016 (and maybe even 2016-2017) winters. Plenty of time for it to marinate. ==c Once I'm done, I plan to be at least 4-5 years ahead.

That's a darned good deal, Newstove! I see it going all the time in our area for around 400 to 600 dollars a truckfull in LOG LENGTH! Heck the stuff you got is cut and split, and likely already seasoned a bit, so you made out pretty dang good! Get that stuff stacked up and you're golden!

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
I will say - the guy was very nice, and I'd be more than happy to buy from him again. I'm out of money (it was hard enough scrounging up enough to get that second load) but it was worth it to get this far ahead now.

Reactions: bogydave and ScotO
You just put money in the bank with a nice dividend.
I'd need about $1500 (maybe more) to heat my house with Nat. Gas.....for a year.
I'd jump on that too if available at that price. I pay about $80/cord all in, but I have to do the c/s.
Definitely a deal.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Nice load, hmm that doesn't sound right.:oops: That is one heck of a deal. Now you can sit back for a year or two. But be careful you don't sit to long, before ya know it you'll be needing more.

Status
Not open for further replies.