Count down to FALL !

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Robbie

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Are you slowly winding the summer down ?

I know, my wife gets mad and says it's not time yet ! %-P

Fire and smoke and CO alarms located and ready ?

........stove and pipe cleaned ?

Wood drying ? Sure you don't need another 1/2 cord just in case it's REALLY cold ?

Kindling, newspapers, fatwood in the wood box ?

Tarps ready fore heavy rain and snow.......wind ?

Bungy cords ready to tie the tarps down on those wood piles ?

Home depot has rolls of black plastic 3 foot wide and 50 ft long just perfect for wood piles.............. ;-)

Tractor supply has "Heavy duty" tarps, double thick for about the same cost of thin cheap ones........these are awsome tarps !

Did you get that blower ordered ?

Ash can ?

New stove tools ?

Better get these things done a little early..........I predict a colder winter.................. :)

And just in case...... :lol:

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/oun/storms/20011128/howtomeasuresnow.html

Robbie

No after more that 30 years of wood burning It becomes a chore. When Summer is at the count down stage means golf season is over for me

Also means I getting closer of banging ice of things including my fingers or I better lline up inside work which is not always easy to do
Means to get the plow truck in mechanical condition.
Also means the hot sun drying wood season is over.

What I won't be missing Misquitos and those nasty wood flies oh the suprise hornets nest up on a ladder

But really I in no rush to start heating. then 1/2 through winter the pain seeing the wood piles dwindling

I like the idea of getting more wood : to me, if it there for the taking, its mine Dissclaimer, Knarly elm and 3' thic logs I can't lift
I usually pass

Agreed. I'm in no rush for fall. Summer is my favorite time of the year.

Robbie is getting the itch, aren't ya? :lol:
When this happens to me, I grab a couple beers and have a fire in the backyard fire pit on a cool evening.

BeGreen said:

Yea, your on the left coast. The east has been brutal for almost two months. 99 Degrees today. I would be better off in Miami.

NOOOOOOOOO! Im not ready. I still need to build my hearth ( When all the R factors are decided in the other thread ) and install my stove Plus I have an 800 Sq Ft deck to build. As well as finish all the outside trim on the house. Give me at least 2 months!

We've been high 90's as the official temperature. I have an outside thermometer and it's fairly accurate which was reading 105 yesterday and it's on the north (cool) side of my house.

Stove is cleaned. I burn pellets that I buy from a big box that begins stocking in August so I'll go get my first pallet then.

Sandor said:
BeGreen said:

Yea, your on the left coast. The east has been brutal for almost two months. 99 Degrees today. I would be better off in Miami.

Ha, up in Marblehead, MA my sister-in-law is complaining it's too cool this summer. Oh well, someone has to be warm. Me, I'm still waiting for the tomatoes and peppers to ripen.

Winding down? It will be a good 3-4 months before I even think of stoking up the old stoves! Summer may be over on the calendar in September but really doesnt go away till Oct or later in my opinion. A couple of fires at night in the fire pit is enough to last me till Novermber.

I'm looking forward to more cool nights and that special 'light' that seems to shine in the woods here in the fall. Blueberries, zucchini, raspberries, gooseberries, and edible-podded peas are all ready for picking now and we are freezing lots for next winter. As soon as the sweet corn and edamame beans are harvested in August, it can start to cool down. Fall is our favorite time of the year, and the fact that our first grandchild is due in mid-September will make this one very special!

Warm weather is like getting high MPG from your wood. Warm days are cruising down hill in neutral.

BeGreen said:
Sandor said:
BeGreen said:

Ha, up in Marblehead, MA my sister-in-law is complaining it's too cool this summer. Oh well, someone has to be warm. Me, I'm still waiting for the tomatoes and peppers to ripen.
That's only cause we've had some nice cool sea breezes so far this year, last week it was in the 70's here on the coast and 20 miles inland it was the 90's
Marblehead huh..... that's a thrones stow away from here..... :cheese: are you coming to Gooseriders party??????

No, our travel plans are already set. My wife gets to visit there in October. I'll be heading to Eastern Europe instead this September.

It's an awful thing to wish your life away but I can't wait for fall.The hotter it is all summer the busier I am @ work.Things tend to slow down a bit in fall and I get to recharge and work on things around home.As long as the wood is seasoned and stacked,stoves are ready.....I say bring on the fall.I'm looking forward to doing some hunting.One other bonus;I won't have to mow that damn lawn! :shut:

I'm trying to stretch the summer. We "made it" through winter after moving into an old farmhouse and I have a list of somewhat critical things to have accomplished before the rains come. For instance, the flooded crawlspace was kept in control with a sump pump but I have plenty of grade and room to run a gravity drain system to keep it dry this winter. Rotten colums which are related to the flooded crawlspace are also on the list.

On the bright side, I did get the first steel stud cut for my hearth today and then did the woodwork and ductwork for the outside air for our new hearthstone which really needs to be burning before winter.

Give me more summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.