Couple more questions from a 1st year guy

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

woodslinger

Feb 16, 2009
southern ill
Thanks for the patience and quality answers!
Stove pipe thermometers are recommnded on this site but I have an insert into a zero-clearance fireplace. Mounting on the flue is not an option. Only a few inches protrudes from the shroud. is this enough to get an accurate reading of stove temps?

Are slight popping noises normal during operation?

An insert installed in a prefab fireplace could make a "popping" noise when the metal from the insert or the sheetmetal from the prefab expandes and contracts. Not sure about where to put a thermometer without looking at the stove. I would suggest buying a small one and trying to find a flat surface for it.

An Infrared Thermometer is the only way I can get an accurate reading on our insert. You can pick em up pretty cheap at one of those big box store.

I suspect you'l get some slight popping and pinging noises with nearly any type of stove (free standing or insert) as the metal rapidly heats up . . . big ol' bangs however is a whole other story . . . so if you hear one of those you'll want to investigate further.

The BI Guy said:
An Infrared Thermometer is the only way I can get an accurate reading on our insert. You can pick em up pretty cheap at one of those big box store.

Or even cheaper at www.harborfreight.com . . . the cheaper ones in the big box stores that I found were more expensive and didn't go as high on the temp scale.

Remember, even with these thermometers in the recommended locations, these are not surgically precise instruments. Rather, that are just used for you to get a general idea of what is happening.

Really, my thermomenter would be just as useful with no numbers at all on it. I burn by it but don't swear by the accuracy.

With that said, put one where you can, learn how the fire works and how it reads where it is, use some common sense, and use it's reading as a guide.

pen

pen said:
Remember, even with these thermometers in the recommended locations, these are not surgically precise instruments. Rather, that are just used for you to get a general idea of what is happening.

Really, my thermomenter would be just as useful with no numbers at all on it. I burn by it but don't swear by the accuracy.

With that said, put one where you can, learn how the fire works and it reads where it is, and use it as a guide as is.

pen
Well said. Make sure that you burn dry wood and after a few weeks or a month get up on the roof and check your chimney for creosote. Should be little to none. For the first year keep checking every month or two depending on what you find. This will help you correct any burning problems and yet keep your family safe. Be safe.
Ed

Status
Not open for further replies.