Couple of things of interest to Leyden owners...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

anilawr

Hearth Supporter
Apr 6, 2007
Southeastern Pa.
We replaced an old VC Vigilant last year with a Leyden (2007 model). Burned mostly nights and weekends from Jan. through March. In general, it gets a good review, but there are some wrinkles…We had a problem with the bypass flopping open. First time, I was absolutely sure I had closed the bypass, but when I looked, it was open. The second time it happened, I was in the room and heard the clunk as the handle released, like an invisible hand from across the room. My husband made a few adjustments with instructions from the stove shop. That helped somewhat, but from that point on we were very careful not to load up the firebox or leave the stove unattended. Stove shop called yesterday and said they had a ratchet kit for the damper which they wanted to install. Good piece of mechanical engineering…works like a charm, no chance of a “flop open” again. Also, they replaced the clips holding the glass in the doors and broke one panel of glass in the process…just went “tink” and went to pieces on one turn of the screw. Seems there has been a rather high rate of breakage because of faulty clips and heat expansion and we probably had a hairline crack we didn’t see. For Leyden owners out there who haven’t had a problem, I’m glad you didn’t. Just passing this info along for those of you who might not be aware of potential problems and the fix for them.

Thanks for checking in with this. That is what this Forum is all about.

Don't have one of those stoves, PB, but I'll tell ya, if I did, I'd be very grateful to you for sharing this experience with us here. I ditto what BB said. Never hesitate to pass along information about your experiences in the wide wonderful world of woodburning here. Thanks! Rick

Hi- Thanks for the update on the Leyden.
Our first year with it was last year too- great stove. Diden't have any problems with the damper/bypass- but did/do have trouble with the glass.
I noticed the clips were loose, to the point they were falling out, in the spring. Tightened them up ( a very little ), and repeated this several times.
I think it was april and one day while the stove was burning- noticed the glass had split in three. Had to go buy a new piece- $65.00. Think I might go ask my stove store if 'there has been any recalls/troubles' that they might want to report ???

Thanks again.

I've been burning my Leyden since Dec. 2006 and have had some similar issues. My bypass also flopped open a few times, even after tightening the bolt as recommended in the manual as routine maintenance. It finally led to speaking with folks at Lopi and the local retailer replacing the bypass control arm/rod with a stainless steel one. I was told at the time (spring 2007 I think) that this would be standard on new stoves.

Also, my firebricks cracked in the first year and were replaced by the retailer.

The bypass door gasket also had a problem initially that was serviced.

All of my work was done free on warranty, and I'm happy with the customer service from Lopi. It is my understanding that the upgrade kits and warranty materials were made available to the dealerships so by all means, talk to your dealer.

It's good to hear that you folks are getting good service on these stoves. Sounds like Travis is getting the kinks ironed out and staying on top of things. Thanks for sharing this info.

We had a thread along these lines a few weeks ago regarding Leyden bypass issues. My Leyden is new this year and may have that matter fixed. Below is where i copied and pasted from that earlier thread. https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/23254/P15/

"

Hi Woodburn

I have seen similar reports of short burn times with the Leyden in the hearth.com stove reviews. I did ask the dealer about that issue and he reported that there was a problem identified with the older models and there was a fix included on mine.

The bypass baffle had a problem of creeping open which would shorten the burn time. Perhaps this could also lower the stove top temps as you have observed since the heat would be escaping out the top past the open baffle. Somebody with knowledge about this will have to tell us. Anyhow; Travis did rig a fix for the matter.

The pictures of red and black stoves are of early model Leydens found on the showroom floor in October, 2006. Note that on the left hand side of the stoves’ rear heat shields there is no device visible in the area above the baffle closing level. For the benefit of other readers the baffle closing lever is not visible in the 2006 pictures but it is located on the left side near the back.

The other picture is of my daughter Samantha pointing out the new baffle closing lever lock device on my stove. My stove was built in September, 2007 according to the tag found on the back. The locking device is clearly visible from the front of the stove.

I would hope that this locking device would be available to all early model Leyden and Arbor owners. I think this would be worth bugging your dealer about.

"

Attachments

• Lopi_Leyden_2006.jpg
    Lopi_Leyden_2006.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 186
  • red_Leyden_2006.jpg
    red_Leyden_2006.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 189
  • lock.jpg
    lock.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 172
  • baffel_latch 2008.jpg