Covering Firewood to Dry?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I keep my wood uncovered outside and come about mid September I then stack it into my wood shed for the burning season. Even in wet years I have not had a problem with seasoning wood. It's cool seeing how much the wood changes in the course of a year. You start out with these white fresh splits and end up with seasoned brown-black splits that look crappy but throw out some serious BTU'S.

Roospike said:
Todd said:
Well since I am trying the Holz Hausen this year, i'm leaving it un covered. But I do bring in enough wood for a week next to the stove, so it all drys out after 1 fire anyway. Not a big fan of tarps, big eye sore.
I agree and thought the same thing about tarps , I found BROWN tarps at the box store and when covered you dont even see the tarp on the wood pile .

I cover mine in hot pink tarps

Nobody complains about woodpiles when its 76 in the living room ;)

Actually, I found tarps that are 2' X 20' or something like that
Perfect for covering my single depth piles............ they are green

All my wood (about 5 cords ) for this season is under the deck ( waterproofed ) after sitting outside all summer. We dont have any humidity here so it dries nicely in one summer. next years wood is outside and uncovered but will dry next summer and be moved under the deck next fall.Im lucky enough to have a forklift which I built a 4X4X4 box on a skid to load and raise it up the 10' to the deck as needed. Depending upon snowfall, Sometimes reloading involves the snowblower.

Status
Not open for further replies.