1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Covering The Wood

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by soupy1957, Sep 4, 2010.

1. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    "And the Lord said unto Isaiah 'Top cover thine wood from splitting til burning lest thy wood be required to be dried a multitude of times.'"

"And henceforth He looked upon Isaiah's top covered stacks, as dry as the desert bleached jaw bone of an ass, and saw that they were good."

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. oldspark

oldspark Guest

I just do what works you guys can do what ever you want. :)
  3. quads

quads Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Sands, Wisconsin
    +1 Ha ha!
  4. golfandwoodnut

golfandwoodnut Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Pittsburgh PA
    LLigetfa, it looks like your shed has seasoned nicely as well as the wood. It has that beautiful gray look. :)
  5. precaud

precaud Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Sunny New Mexico
    That's what I use too. It can be bought quite reasonably at HD if you pick your spots. I wait until I see a damaged roll - their mishandling sometimes crushes one end - and then ask for a discount on it. They typically come back with 10-25% off, I offer them 50% and they take it. Just got another one yesterday.
  6. BrotherBart

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    You don't want to hear about me getting a 75' X 20' roll for five bucks because nobody at the landscape company bankruptcy auction but me knew what it was. :coolgrin:
  7. fossil

fossil Accidental Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Bend, OR
    I can tell you that a lot depends on where you live. I lived for 12 years in Northern Virginia, and the annual rainfall, snowfall and average relative humidity were all vastly higher than out here where I live now in the central Oregon high desert. In Virginia, I always covered the tops of stacks for seasoning. Here where I live now, I just don't see the need. Yeah, the wood gets some rain and some snow on it from time to time over the course of a couple of years, but before it goes into the shed in the summertime before burning season, all that superficial moisture is long gone, and the wood's ready to go. Like so many other things, it's got a lot to do with your location and the prevailing conditions. Rick
  8. precaud

precaud Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Sunny New Mexico
    I'm not liiissssennnninnnng...
  9. goosegunner

goosegunner Minister of Fire

Loc:
    WI
    Most of you must not ever get that sideways freezing rain. If I didn't cover in the winter I would have to chip off half an inch of ice at times.

gg
  10. oldspark

oldspark Guest

Yep thats why I cover mine sides and all before the first snow, I was digging wood out of the snow last winter and at least most of it was dry.
  11. vvvv

vvvv New Member

Loc:
    MAINE
    ma nature sez= a totally covered pile will be colder on top than at the bottom, then the moisture from the ground will migrate from warmer to colder, thru the woodpile
  12. BrotherBart

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    I got in a bind with the rubber roofing cover last winter. I had six cord covered the year before and worked the front three off during that season. So I had a large hunk of that heavy rubber hanging down and laying in front of the working stack last season. No problem most of the time. Lift it up and fill the wheel barrow. Then three feet of snow fell on top of it. Luckily I had four days worth of wood already in the basement. It took me that long to dig out to the stacks and then dig all of that snow off the EPDM so I could lift it up.

Lesson learned. Built the shed.
  13. Chris S

Chris S New Member

Loc:
    Orange County NY
    Yes, but then that snow was gone within 2 weeks.
    I must confess here that I do not have all of my wood split yet, so I will fight high mc again (maybe) I had plans for a shed almost as nice as the ones shown on this thread, but other projects got in the way.
    I can store almost 2 cords inside, and I own commercial dehumidifiers, so... I'm going to practice my structural drying techniques on my wood pile. Stay tuned...
    We split our wood small, which helps a lot, I'll be sticking those loge with the moisture meter to see how effective this turns out.
  14. fire_man

fire_man Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Eastern Ma
    I understand your method of seasoning it uncovered, but others leave it uncovered until it goes into the woodstove. That's the part I don't get - at least I can't do that.
  15. ansehnlich1

ansehnlich1 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Adams County, PA
    Just read through this thread, and seeins how I'm a nice guy, I decided to post a picture of the CORRECT way to store firewood, you know, to help you ladies and gentleman out a bit, and this assuming one does NOT have a wood shed.....

[​IMG]
  16. BrotherBart

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    Thank you so much. It changed my life. Except for the part of having to put in a railroad spur to get it up to the house. :lol:
  17. precaud

precaud Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Sunny New Mexico
    Seriously, don't we have better things to do than make our piles perfect?
  18. allhandsworking

allhandsworking Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    NYC
    I didn't know Oregon had low humidity regions?
  19. ansehnlich1

Loc:
    Adams County, PA
    Naw, my house ain't far from the pile, and I can put a cord or more on the back porch for easy access :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  20. BrotherBart

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    He lives in a place they call the "High Desert".
  21. allhandsworking

allhandsworking Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    NYC
    I guess its safe to say that you don't have any rusty tractor's or bath tubs on your lawn! That's the Tightest wood pile I have ever seen!
  22. ansehnlich1

Loc:
    Adams County, PA
    ain't that right, I only stack it twice, once where you see in the pics, and then another on the back porch when the weather gets nasty.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  23. BrotherBart

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    A FIL is cheating. Don't they sell wheel barrows and snow shovels around there?

You know, real wood heating tools. :coolsmirk:
  24. ansehnlich1

Loc:
    Adams County, PA
    I guess I'm busted! How'd you know I put that shovel next to the house to make it looked like it was used?

I'm startin' to feel bad for hijackin this great thread, sooooo, I'm outta here ;-P
  25. BrotherBart

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    Thanks for the great pics. Somehow I think you are gonna be warm this winter.