1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Crack in exhaust vent

Post in 'The Boiler Room - Wood Boilers and Furnaces' started by mskif, Dec 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mskif

mskif Member

Loc:
    Hudson Valley NY
    I had my gas boiler flue relined in a masonry chimney last month when my wood stove was installed. The liner is about 35 feet. There is now a crack in the exit. I can't remember what they used to seal the exit but what can I use to patch it up? Also, I use the gas steam heater to supplement the wood stove. Should I avoid using it until this is patched? Thanks.

Attached Files:

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Dave T

Dave T New Member

Loc:
    Dansville NY
    If it were me I would use hi temp silicone to seal the crack then remove the elbow use a metal trim ring or wall flashing and fasten it to the red brick using masonry fasteners that will help support the pipe at the wall and maybe prevent future sagging, I would try to find one prefabricated use a brush and get all the loose flakes off the brick where the trim ring will touch run a bead of silicone behind the ring and around the outsides of the ring thats what I did here is a pic of mine through the basement wall and it works great..Dave

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.