Crack in soap stone

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rdrcr56

Sep 8, 2006
Does anyone know a fair amount about Hearthstone or soap stone stoves? I have a Hearthstone Homestead and was cleaning the sides today and noticed a couple of cracks in the lower stones at the top of the stone. One on the left side and one on the right side in the same place. (see attached photo) The stove was broken in easy for the first week according to the manual and has never seen 500 degrees for a stove top temperature. Does this look like a warranty issue or is this normal with a soap stone stove?

Attachments

• DSC00109.jpg
    DSC00109.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 1,374
  • DSC00110.jpg
    DSC00110.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 1,294
From what I've been told, it's not uncommon to have the stone crack during break in. Judging by the picture, you sould be ok. If it continues to grow, contact your dealer or HearthStone. They should be able to assess the issue.

Taken from the Heritage manual

STONE
Occasional cleaning is all that should be necessary to
maintain the natural beauty of your stove’s polished
soapstone finish. Clean the soapstone with water, any nonabrasive
cleaner and a soft cloth. Wipe dust from the stone
with a clean cloth. Do not use chemical agents to wash the
stone; do not use waxes or any polishing agents on the
stone.
Care must be taken not to scratch or chip the stone. Do not
set items, which can scratch or chip the stone (or enamel
finish), on top of your stove.
Often, with use and over time, subtle earth tones of brown,
red, and yellow appear on the soapstone. This is a natural
reaction in the soapstone. Surface or hairline fractures may
appear in the stone after a stove has been used. Such
changes are normal and do not affect the operation or the
integrity of the stove and do not require replacement. If you
observe a completely broken stone, contact your dealer for
service.

Rdr,

I agree with what Don recommended.

You may want to call your dealer and give a heads up about it so it is "on the record", maybe even forward the pics. Make a note of it in your manual.

My experience with hearthstone dealer and factory has been top notch.

From the picture, I'm not sure if those are the surface cracking they refer to in the manual. I agree with Vintage... it would make sense to give the dealer a call and let them know about it now, in case it becomes an issue later.

The manual does say hairline or surface cracks may be normal, but that picture on the right looks like it is all the way through the stone. I agree to to give your dealer a heads up and maybe even show him the pictures, in case it starts to widen or spread. Vintage and Don correct.

As stated above, small hairline cracks are normal. Open cracks are not normal. There are natural fissures in stone that will show up once the stove is fired up. My Heratige had a few, but my Mansfield does not have any yet.

The main reason I was asking was that both cracks are in line with the bolts that hold the top on. It just seems curious that both stones would crack in exactly the same place.

Im the dealer! :gulp:
Called hearthstone. left word with tech. I dont anticipate a call back untill monday.

Talked to hearthstone. Sounds like you talked to them already Dan, so you know the answer. For the rest of you folks, they send out replacemet stones. You have to do a little dismantling to replace it, and part of the labor will be subsidized by hearthstone to pay a professional.

Wow, real life stove drama right here on Hearth.com. I love a happy ending.

MSG yeah, they said it wasnt a big deal and to run it through the heating season and repair it in spring, early summer. I cant remember who I talked to but he was pretty cool about it and said they would take care of it, exellent customer service if you ask me.

You spoke to Jim Cassivant, "the man" at hearthstone. That guy knows his product. So keep in touch, we will get you fixed up this spring.

Uh, what would the shipping charge be for those two cracked chunks to Virginia? :coolsmirk:

They are cracked. Makes'em ugly. Ya wouldn't want them sitting around dragging down your property value. :cheese:

I'm glad to hear you are satisfied with the customer service. I am seriously considering buying a Hearthstone stove, and knowing that you were treated fairly will help me in making a stove decision. Keep us informed about any developments.

northwinds

BrotherBart said:
Uh, what would the shipping charge be for those two cracked chunks to Virginia? :coolsmirk:

They are cracked. Makes'em ugly. Ya wouldn't want them sitting around dragging down your property value. :cheese:
************The buzzards are circling************

Roospike said:
BrotherBart said:

************The buzzards are circling************

An old buzzard at that!

Chalk that one up to Hearthstone. Hey Jim...if your watching...AND MSG nice job and great customer service. I'm sure you'll sell a couple more of them now. Very few people mind a problem with a product if it's handled with a smile and quickly.

rdrcr56,
How did you make out with your repairs ? Or are you still waiting for Spring. I am asking because while dusting my Mansfield I noticed a little bit of what looks like suet along a pretty straight vain in my left side rear stone. I looked closer (felt) and could see that it is a crack a long the vain and I can see that it follows around the edge (as far as you can see before butting the other stone). I know surface cracks can be normal but I am mainly concerned because I noticed what looks like suet in part of the space that was a white vain and at the edge it is an open crack. I will have to wait for it to cool down before I can confirm my suspicions from the inside. Like you, I did my break in fire (actually I did a couple before going for the larger fire). I have never had my stove over 600*. Normally 450-500* tops. I had it at 550* once for a very short period. I will check it out closer when I am able let it cool down. In the meantime here are photos of the outside stone. Any information you have would be helpful.

Attachments

• Crack .JPG
    Crack .JPG
    26.8 KB · Views: 772
  • Crack Close Up.JPG
    Crack Close Up.JPG
    24.1 KB · Views: 670
Status
Not open for further replies.