Crack on englander 30

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Enplater

Burning Hunk
Jun 6, 2017
NH
I was cleaning up the stove today and noticed a small crack about 3/8” long at the top left of the door opening. If I hold a flashlight behind it I can barely see some light coming through. The crack is within the sealed area of the door so it shouldn’t be letting any air in.
Does anyone know if this is common for these stoves and will I need to weld it or will it be fine?
Thanks for the response.
766614E1-66AF-4F85-BA2A-1815DCC6187A.jpeg905D84D5-4F45-4AB2-9235-7AA6C36F5EC3.jpeg

Generally the best approach with a crack is drill it at the end of the crack to stop it from extending

Reactions: Mech e
Generally the best approach with a crack is drill it at the end of the crack to stop it from extending
Or even just a bit beyond where you think the end of the crack is...because it often is cracked further than you can actually see...as long as you can stop that crack inside of where the gasket seals, I'd not worry too much about it. Even if you have to go outside of where the gasket seals, a small wad of tinfoil crammed into the hole will seal it up well enough...even if you left it open, it will introduce so little extra air to the fire you will not notice it...these stoves are FAR from air tight.
If you don't get to the root of the crack, it will just extend on past your drilled hole later on.

Yup, be a bit conservative on where you drill the crack.

I was thinking the same thing with drilling a hole, my dad taught me that years ago. I’ll go a little beyond though, thanks for the replies.

The hole does not need to be large. 3/32" would suffice. If you know someone good with a welder that has a portable unit, I'd have it welded up.

If you know someone good with a welder that has a portable unit, I'd have it welded up.
The crack really needs to be ground out some to get full weld penetration...I wouldn't want the mess of that in my house...unless its in an unfinished basement or something...and I have repaired a faulty weld on a previous wood furnace while it was installed in the basement before too... ::-)

Reactions: Highbeam
I’ll start with drilling the small hole and keep an eye on it. If it cracks any more than that I’ll get the welder.