cracked air tube in my quadra fire 4300 step top ,is this common and whats the fix, lifetime steel w

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

4 cords

Aug 31, 2008
central ct
noticed during cleaning, a crack in the rear upper vent-box tube ,up from the welds, lifetime steel warranty stove retailer said they make a plate to install over crack.Do I settle for their fix or demand more than a( band-aid) new member please help me

Attachments

• 083008_2334a.jpg
    083008_2334a.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 534
Without seeing the issue it's hard to tell. Can you post a photo?

crack large enough to fit credit card into but I wont haha

Yep, keep it in your wallet. This is starting to be a disturbing trend. We have seen a lot of cracks showing up in Quad secondaries in the past few months. I'd ask your dealer to contact Quadrafire for a more permanent fix.

when I said crack 4300 they said uh yes in the back without seeing a pic we had to send a pic for the warranty , some kind of plate that covers cracked area ,must be an engineered plate right ha

Whatever stresses were there are probably relieved - how it is fixed may not matter much as far as operation. Maybe they have a plate and screws which fit into the air holes? Most stoves with secondaries have replaceable tubes or baffles just for this reason....they get a bit hot.

Webmaster said:
...they get a bit hot.

Not just the Webmaster, but the Understatementmaster as well. :) Rick

Hmm, now that I look, our has the same crack! It doesn't look like it's big enough to cause a problem, but time will tell. As Craig mentioned, the worst may be over. Mebbe that was some of the noises we were listening to last year????

I don't think a plate over that will do much. Maybe a blob of furnace cement?

Let us know how the warranty goes. I really need to clean the stove out....

Chris

A crack is a crack, cracks can grow due to expansion & contraction. I'd have it properly fixed. If its under warranty, why not.
Yes the stress may be off, but will there be any additional stress due to the crack? Fixer up and be done with it ;)

When I 1st saw this thread I checked my QF4300st didn't see any cracks. Also just an observation but the tubes seem loose...almost like you can rattle them. Is that a built in tolerance so they don't crack...I dunno? got the stove used and didn't get a manual with it. Thanks for any heads up.

It is a SS plate and gasket that bolts over the mainfold. it is something that should be done or it will get worse. it is normal for the the tubes to be loose.

Status
Not open for further replies.