cracked Jotul 121

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Walk away. It would take somebody that really, really knew what they were doing to repair the crack in the cast. And even then...you are bringing fire into your home. That is not only a crack - its a REALLY BIG crack in cast iron. I wouldn't have that in my home with a belly full of fire. Just one dudes opinion.

Reactions: Owen1508
Thank you Jags.
I know the crack is big, but in Spain is very hard to find this classical fire stove. And the price of this is about 200$. I have contacted with Jotul to ask the remplacement of the plate.

I have contacted with Jotul to ask the remplacement of the plate.

If that is an option I would go that route (if it makes financial sense).

I have repaired worse. Print that picture and take it to a good weld shop that repairs cast iron. Not all do or can.
You want it welded with 99% nickel rod or square cast iron rods with a gas torch. No bronze or brass or braze or brazing.
I would want the stove for free though, or at best $50, since that is a big expensive repair. For $200 forget it. It is junk as is, it has no value.

I know how you feel but your better going with a less expensive new stove than gambling with that one. It's too dangerous.

I contacted with Jotul Norway and a german Jotul dealer. None have the front panel for the stove, so I have sorrowfully decide do not buy the stove.

My dad lives in Portugal and he installed a system by himself for around 650 euros. How that makes you feel a little better. He bought the stove, the pipe and the hearth for that price all locally in southern Portugal.

Status
Not open for further replies.