Cracked the glass on my castine! Can I still burn?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dvellone

Feeling the Heat
Sep 21, 2006
I can't hardly believe it! I had the door ajar and had gone to get a couple splits, and approaching the stove I barely bumped into the door with my leg causing the door to close - the handle was in the down position so instead of the gasket hitting the stove, the locking part of the handle on the interior of the stove door bumped the stove... cracked glass! I figured it was tempered and could withstand this gentle a knock but I guess it was just enough to flex things beyond hope.

My dealer is about an hour away and it's pretty tough for me to get away that easily. He's willing to rob one out of a floor model or I can wait till Thursday for replacements to come in (and the weekend is much easier for a trip down). Should I not be considering running a fire in the stove? The glass is firmly held in place but my concern is more about air leakage. Doesn't seem like a a lot could get through the crack but I don't know.

Do not burn with cracked glass.It could crack further and fall out during a burn.

Were it me I would go to the store and get some 3M 433 high-temp foil tape to put over the crack. The stuff uses a silicone adhesive and is supposed to be good to six hundred degrees. Since the airwash comes down the glass it isn't likely to get over six hundred.

It's one break, top to bottom and it originates right under the upper glass clip. So the glass clip is holding equally both pieces of glass.

BrotherBart said:
Were it me I would go to the store and get some 3M 433 high-temp foil tape to put over the crack. The stuff uses a silicone adhesive and is supposed to be good to six hundred degrees. Since the airwash comes down the glass it isn't likely to get over six hundred.

Sounds good. Our temps aren't bad right now and aren't supposed to be too bad all week and during this type of weather I'm running the stove at 4-500* with smallish fires anyway.

It states in the manual not to burn with broken or cracked glass page 9. Your house not mine.

Don't burn it.
If it's your primary source of heat, take
the hours, drive to your stove shop & spend the $75 for a
new piece of PyroCeram - NOT tempered - glass.
It's fire in your home.
It will HEAT the house or EAT the house,
& it doesn't care about you.

Let er rip, been running mine for over a year, little furnace cement and good to go!

I do not know about your stove but my VC Encore has 2 pieces of glass on each door with a gasket in between each other. I broke one of mine a few years back and the part was around $100 to replace and I did not want to spend that much. I went to the junkyard and pulled the glass off of one the the smooth top electric stoves for $3, then I had a glass company cut it to fit, another $3. It has worked just fine since doing it.

geoxman said:
I do not know about your stove but my VC Encore has 2 pieces of glass on each door with a gasket in between each other. I broke one of mine a few years back and the part was around $100 to replace and I did not want to spend that much. I went to the junkyard and pulled the glass off of one the the smooth top electric stoves for $3, then I had a glass company cut it to fit, another $3. It has worked just fine since doing it.

What a great idea!! Ingenious.

I've been burning mine for a couple of months with a crack. I rigged up a piece of tin behind the glass. My father in law broke his second door and hasn't replaced it since, he also has the tin rigged up. I like the tape idea, though. It is dangerous to burn with cracked glass, for obvious reasons: if the crack lets in air your stove no longer has control of the fire. I would never recommend it, but I do it.

This don't burn is all hogwash. The Castine is designed to BURN WITH NO DOOR AT ALL, only the Castine screen. If the glass is not going to drop out you will be fine until you order and receive a replacement. In fact it's fine to burn even if the glass drops out completely as long as you have a screen of some sort rigged to catch any stray sparks.
Joe

Darn, Polaris, you take all the fun out of these threads!

polaris said:
This don't burn is all hogwash. The Castine is designed to BURN WITH NO DOOR AT ALL, only the Castine screen. If the glass is not going to drop out you will be fine until you order and receive a replacement. In fact it's fine to burn even if the glass drops out completely as long as you have a screen of some sort rigged to catch any stray sparks.
Joe

You know, I was wondering this myself. With the door wide open the majority of the draft enters from the big opening and runs right up, over the top and up the chimney. The fire actually burns like a fireplace and the stove doesn't get nearly as hot as with the door closed. I guess I was initially concerned with the draft entering through crack and potentially causing an overfire, but I've since ran several fires and even with the crack expanded and letting some air in the stove isn't burning any differently. I'm picking up the replacement glass saturday.

Status
Not open for further replies.