1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Cracks in LOPI Freedom

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by rakuz66, Oct 2, 2011.

1. BrowningBAR

BrowningBAR Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Doylestown, PA

The coffee was strong today, wasn't it?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Hass

Hass Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Alabama, NY
    As was the misguided information.
  3. rakuz66

rakuz66 New Member

Loc:
    Maple Glen, Pa.
    I live outside Philadelphia, Pa. I contacted a welder from the area who is going to come over FRiday morning to take a look at it. My brother in law also is a machinist who wleds and he said he could do it. The first welder might be able to do it on-site which would be nice, but my b-i-l would need to take it to his shop which would be a pain. I will say this, the LOPI rep told me that the cracks were not a safety issue. So, I'm totally confused?
  4. Hass

Hass Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Alabama, NY
    A machinist who also can weld doesn't sound like a real welder who is capable of GTAW 100% welds.
    your life, safety of others, and your entire home is not something that you should be trying to save a couple bucks with.

They probably determined from what you described to them that there's no way for fire/gasses to escape in to your living space... Which would make the stove safe to use.
    Without seeing the stove I can't comment on that... But if you believe you accurately described the cracks to the rep, then I would be inclined to side with the rep.
  5. rakuz66

rakuz66 New Member

Loc:
    Maple Glen, Pa.
    I sent him pictures. Actually the pics are at the beginning of this thread.
  6. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    Yeah Hass. Getting dead from secondary air manifolds that are completely contained inside the firebox is a real possibility. Yeah right. That post is one of those over the top ones I expect to see in a HVAC forum. Not here.

And I am the one that suggested he scrap the stove.

Edit: BB who has never dropped a hood but who spent eight years with a pressure vessel company and 18 years with refineries with welders having to sit on the other side of the desk and tell me how they did what they did so we didn't get somebody killed.
  7. bimmerFAITH

bimmerFAITH Member

Loc:
    Metro Atlanta
    That's what I did. I bought my Freedom used and it had hairline cracks (not as large as the ones pictured). I forget the exact product, but the big box store had some fire rated crack filler "caulk" that was almost like a cement paste. I goobed it in the cracks and pressed it in with my fingers . . . been burning fine for the past year. This is a $2400 stove that I wouldn't replace over a few small cracks in the air bypass baffle.
  8. luv2byte

luv2byte Member

Loc:
    Southwest Washington state
    We have similar cracks, talked w local dealer who told us the same as our Sweep, it's a slight loss of efficiency but not a safety issue. We plan, probably next spring, to have it pulled & sent off to be refurbished. It's been like that two seasons now, no issues.
  9. CT-Mike

CT-Mike Minister of Fire

Loc:
    New England
    I also have a Freedom insert and just checked for cracks in the same area while reloading. Looks good but definitely something I will check out when the stove is cold in the morning.
  10. fespo

fespo Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    South West burbs of Chicago
    To me it looks like the angle iron is not sitting right, the burn tubes are not right. If the angle iron is not sitting right, the bricks and the baffle is not sitting right. Now you have over fire
  11. webby3650

webby3650 Master of Fire

Loc:
    southern Indiana
    It may have have been mentioned, but do you have a full liner? I often see odd problems in EPA stoves when no liner is installed. This comes from trying to force too much out of it. You know, never turning the air down, because all the heat is going up the flue.
  12. MarkinNC

MarkinNC Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Leicester, NC
    I would have it welded if it were me. My brother is a master welder though. I agree that the weld should be the stronger than the adjacent material. If I were going to replace it, the easiest thing to do would be able to replace it with another Lopi insert just like now, Essentially no modification would be needed. There are a lot of great stoves out there though:)

I would burn above 500 to keep your chimney clean and the smoke gone. Keep it beloew 700 if you want to be conservative.