Cracks in my firebox brick liner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jlau

Oct 31, 2010
Northern VA
Had my VC Merrimack insert inspected today and the inspector found several small cracks in the brick liners on the side and the back of the firebox. Is this something that requires replacement? Not sure how it happened but could have been cracked when installed for all I know. Thoughts?

Don't know about your particular stove, but generally speaking as long as there are no big chunks missing it's not a big issue. A crack is a crack, with a void no bigger than the space between the bricks.

If we are talking a new stove here, the dealer needs to replace that stuff. If it is refractory panels, they ain't cheap.

Our Montpelier developed some hairline cracks after 2 years. I'm keeping an eye on them, but not concerned at the moment.

How do you like the Merrimack? I would've gone for it if it was available back then- though my wife would still prefer the flush Montpelier.

Jeff in VA said:
Had my VC Merrimack insert inspected today and the inspector found several small cracks in the brick liners on the side and the back of the firebox. Is this something that requires replacement? Not sure how it happened but could have been cracked when installed for all I know. Thoughts?

it is normal (and actually typical this time of the year esp.) that you will get hairline cracks in the firebrick.....your stove sits all summer and collects humidity just like everything else in the house, and if you fire it up straight away without a small burn-in fire to dry out the bricks, you will usually get cracks....like the other poster said, cracks are cracks, as long as there isn't a chunk missing just keep and eye on it, it will be fine....but it was also stated that if it is a stove under warranty, and it is a refractory panel, those things are expensive and I would go after the stove company and get it replaced....

Status
Not open for further replies.