1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Cracks in old chimney a problem if installing stainless liner?

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by zan78, Aug 31, 2010.

1. Todd

Todd Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Lake Wissota
    Sounds like a good plan, also check out the Pacific Energy inserts, hard to beat their s/s baffle system.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. ddddddden

ddddddden Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Va
    C'mon, Todd. You know people expect you to recommend a catalytic stove! :) Zan, there are free-standing stoves that could be vented rearward into the fireplace and up the chimney just like an insert, but if you're determined to stick with an insert, the Blaze King Princess would probably be your best option in a catalytic stove. A catalytic combustor gives you more control over the burn, and a nominal 10% increase in efficiency. Also, talk to your installer about putting insulation on the walls of the fireplace behind the insert, and a "block-off plate" to seal the damper area. Oh yeah, if you think this has been quite the task so far, wait until you try finding truly seasoned, dry firewood. :)
  3. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    The decision does require a lot of research and work. It should. It is a lot of money and it requires a lot of thinking about the safety of your home and family. And a big part of it is that you will be heating your home with that stove for a very long time and it is a job that deserves to be done right.
  4. zan78

zan78 New Member

Loc:
    Western MI

I did actually look at a couple of these a few days ago. The guy today said to steer clear of Pacific Energy though, Quadfire and HearthStone, and some vogelzang, which he said have more complaints and crack more often. I'm not sure if this is true or or his own agenda. He's pointing us to 2000+ $ stoves, but seems with my research tonight that I can get just a good of one for $1600-2000.

Right now I'm looking at the Lennox Country Performer C210, Regency I2400 or Lopi Republic - which all have a cook surface - a definite plus for us. Jotul seems to have no options for that. Just had a look since you mentioned that Todd, and the PE Pacific also seems like a good option.
  5. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    Ask the guy to give you the phone number of the last Hearthstone owner that had a stove crack. Come to think of it get the phone number of anybody he knows that had any of them crack.