Craiglist wood ID and volume estimate ,Please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure on the ID but looks like it could be 2 cords when c/s/s. Only 5 mins away I would show up with $100 cash.

I think it might be tulip , I have some tulip on my own, don't want it , it's very light, not burning well

Reactions: TreePointer
Thank you guys, no burning styrofoam for me

Yeah, but guy wants $150 for it , plus I need to haul and split it. I'd rather spent my time on appearing what u have already . Besides , I already have about cord of it .

Local arborist gives away this wood. He calls it chitwood.

I'd give the guy a 100.00 for it. I think you guys are being fussy. But only if those rounds are at a length that will fit in his stove. If they are too long then its not worth it.
The easier processing wood and quicker burning wood has an excellent place in the scheme of things.

I'd let it sit there and when he gets tired of it not selling and having to look at it I'd show up with a 6 pack and talk to the wife about how you would be happy to take that ugly wood away for them. Six pack if for when the guy has to help you load it due to the wife yelling at him to go help that nice guy.

We are fortunate around here that most folks can be selective because good hardwoods are abundant. A seasoned cord of c/s/s mixed hardwoods can be had for ~$150 in my neighborhood, so there's no way I'd pay $100 for unsplit, unseasoned low BTU wood. Tuliptree/tulip poplar/tulip magnolia/yellow poplar isn't on many of the BTU charts, but it falls somewhere around the low end of the soft maples--think boxelder.

Tulip poplar tends to have much deeper ridges and a darker bark. That looks like Ash to me. Still not worth $200.

Tulip poplar tends to have much deeper ridges and a darker bark. That looks like Ash to me. Still not worth $200.

Pretty sure it's Poplar, magnify the picture and you can tell by the center of the rounds and the coloring of it.

Pretty sure it's Poplar, magnify the picture and you can tell by the center of the rounds and the coloring of it.

I have both types in my stacks right now, so I went and took a look. I think you're right. Hard to get a clear sense of the bark pattern, but after magnifying the picture it looks very much like poplar, just not as pronounced. And you're right about the cross sections--has that typical "muddled" grain of poplar. I didn't pay much attention to that when I first posted. Either way, the guy should be paying someone else to come haul it away for him.

I have both types in my stacks right now, so I went and took a look. I think you're right. Hard to get a clear sense of the bark pattern, but after magnifying the picture it looks very much like poplar, just not as pronounced. And you're right about the cross sections--has that typical "muddled" grain of poplar. I didn't pay much attention to that when I first posted. Either way, the guy should be paying someone else to come haul it away for him.

I've been fooled several times looking at the bark and thinking it was Ash, only to be surprised and disappointed that it was Poplar when I cut into it! But Poplar has some use, like we said.

Still think the asking price is too high, even if it was Ash! They probably asked on the high side anticipating someone would try to knock the price down.

Lower BTU woods have a definate place in my wood supply, but a big factor in that is that aspen and birch grow like weeds around here and are just so easy to get and process. Would never ever pay money for it though.

Reactions: TreePointer
Status
Not open for further replies.