craigs list RULES!!!!!!!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

argus66

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Dec 9, 2007
central coastal nj
picked up 3 yr seasond 2.5 cords of ash maple and oak for $75. so with the 1.5 5 yr seasond cords i picked up back in april for $40 im pretty well set for winter. plus i scronged 1 cord from local people cutting down. both scores were people moving and just looking to get rid of wood. its out there guys just gota look everyday and be ready to go at a moments notice.

Great find you got.

I am picking up a seasoned cord this weekend for $100. I have enough for this up coming winter and I keep watching for the free wood, but at $100 for a full cord already split, I am going to buy one cord and I might get more. My goal is to fill my 12 x 24 concrete pad with about 9 cords, 3 years supply.

Nice score on the wood!

You're right though about having to check it everyday.....if its a good deal, you've got to be ready to jump on it right away.....because if you don't, someone else will.

You also need to be equipped with a vehicle and tools to handle 2.5 cords of stuff right away. That's a lot of loot.

So true.

Through CL I sold an 8 year old tempermental catalytic VC Dutchwest for $500, then turned around and bought a 3 year old Avalon Olympic for $500. Quite the nice exchange. The trick is to be fast and ready to go.

I see amazing deals on stoves all the time, but they go pretty quickly.

I never see anything stove wise worth while by me...but have picked up about 1.5 cord of wood from it. I have also sold a lot of stuff that too nice to toss and was probably going to goodwill... I sold a 20 year old cemi insert on CL for 325.00, it was in good shape but destined for the scrap heap. 1 add and 2 days later I have a fist full of cash.

CL took me to a town 30 miles away, and a couple who were fixin' to move to Nevada. Said they had some firewood to get rid of. Well, we pulled about 6 cords of well seasoned wood out of there...my jeep & 8 x 12 trailer & his pickup stuffed full of wood. He delivered three loads, I ran my trailer up there twice. All told, I guess I paid around $100/cord, which isn't too shabby, considering more than half of it is already split. Liked the folks so much I bought the pickup from them too. :wow: Rick

Promote global warming!!! :)

Just creative marketing!!!

countrybois said:
Why would you put a wood stove on the deck?

Maybe the seller realizes that it's technically illegal to install it anywhere, and that once it's been retired from service (which it quite obviously has been) is actually supposed to be scrapped or somehow disabled. Same with the old Lopi I gave to my firewood supplier...he's probably gonna put it in his house, but I wouldn't know anything about that. He also deals in scrap metal, so my conscience is clear. (Hey, we need a smiley with a halo!) Rick

Adios Pantalones said:
Maybe the owner has been using it as an outdoor fireplace. Very popular now- this is just the slightly redneck version

Pish, posh. Mine is the TRUE redneck version.

Attachments

• craigs list RULES!!!!!!!!!
    brownie smoker.JPG
    39.1 KB · Views: 767
BrotherBart said:

BB, that's got to be the most beautiful truly ugly thing I've ever seen...or maybe it's the other way around...guess it doesn't really matter. :) Rick

fossil said:
BB, that's got to be the most beautiful truly ugly thing I've ever seen...or maybe it's the other way around...guess it doesn't really matter. :) Rick

At the moment the pic was taken there were five chickens and three pork butts in those drawers cruising at 240 degrees. The damned thing smokes meat that is to die for. It is hidden behind the woodpile so nobody can see it anyway.

The base is my wood insert that served so well for 21 years heating this joint and I just couldn't part with it. 3/8" top plate and 1/4" stove body. Here it is doing its thing the last year of its heating life. 4.3 cubic foot firebox and one heating beast, until the firebox cracked from those 1,000 degree burns.

Attachments

• craigs list RULES!!!!!!!!!
    brownie.JPG
    29.1 KB · Views: 676
BrotherBart said:
Adios Pantalones said:
Maybe the owner has been using it as an outdoor fireplace. Very popular now- this is just the slightly redneck version

Wow, is that a still I am seeing? %-P

Heck, no. It's the executive model smoker with built-in filing system.

BeGreen said:
Heck, no. It's the executive model smoker with built-in filing system.

Antelope through Lamb in the top drawer
Moose through Zebra in the botton drawer

Here in RI, the word is out evidently. Craigslist has had several people asking for the equivalent of $100-125 a cord...who knows how much it actually is...bucked. Still gotta pick it up 2-3 trips and split it I am having two cords c/s/d on Sunday for $300, from a tree guy.

thats not to bad some guys here are already at 150 175 and like u said who know full amount when all is said ad done. i saw the other day on the the side of the rode $75 for a pallet who know how much that is didnt look like much.

fossil said:
CL took me to a town 30 miles away, and a couple who were fixin' to move to Nevada. Said they had some firewood to get rid of. Well, we pulled about 6 cords of well seasoned wood out of there...my jeep & 8 x 12 trailer & his pickup stuffed full of wood. He delivered three loads, I ran my trailer up there twice. All told, I guess I paid around $100/cord, which isn't too shabby, considering more than half of it is already split. Liked the folks so much I bought the pickup from them too. :wow: Rick

Why pay for wood on CL, when you get it for free there as well?... Just check whats local and contact them. I mostly stick with the people who post a pic of the free wood..

In the Milwaukee Wisconsin area it is getting harder and harder to find wood. People see the price cut split and delivered and they think they are sitting on gold!!! Splitting and delivery is where the value comes in in my opinion!!!

CK-1 said:
...Why pay for wood on CL, when you get it for free there as well?... Just check whats local and contact them. I mostly stick with the people who post a pic of the free wood..

Well, I guess it depends on where you live. Here where I live, the only free wood that shows up on CL is cabinet shop scraps and pallets. This is high desert country, the dominant tree species growing locally is Juniper, and we just don't get the kind of "windfalls" so common in other areas. I look at CL pretty much every day. Lots of firewood, but none of it's free. Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.