Craigs list....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

littleuing

Jan 14, 2014
PA
So i always try and keep an eyr on craiglist for free wood... Today i found this. Not looking to buy it just find it intresting. I have never seen or heard of firewood sold this way.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-09-24-08-53-39.png
    Screenshot_2015-09-24-08-53-39.png
    156 KB · Views: 241
  • Screenshot_2015-09-24-08-54-08.png
    Screenshot_2015-09-24-08-54-08.png
    42.4 KB · Views: 260
Interesting....

I would put that similar to some folks that use the baskets, but this concept allows the wood to be sold as the bag + pallet would be a LOT cheaper than the baskets. For the occasional burner that doesn't want to have to move a lot of wood, they just want the wood dropped off, it would certainly be appealing. Same goes for the seller: they reduce their wood handling so that would also be appealing.

I've seen those used without the pallet, but then you need to move them around using the slings on the bag and the bag has to support the weight and potential sharp edges on splits ripping and tearing.

I have some similar bags from potting soil that were delivered in them.
Nice for Fall leaf collecting.
One big bag going into and out of a pickup bed saves some work.

I do like the concept... If you have something like an old barn and a fork lift to bring it to the house it would be perfect.

Wonder if they season it in the bags and what that does to seasoning time. If it is even seasoned at all.

I do like the concept... If you have something like an old barn and a fork lift to bring it to the house it would be perfect.

Wonder if they season it in the bags and what that does to seasoning time. If it is even seasoned at all.
I would guess it's like most "seasoned" craigslist wood; not seasoned much at all.

That being said, even if it take more time to season, it cuts down on manual labor so as long as you have the space to hold wood for a longer period of time it could still be quite beneficial...

They have that around here: Kiln-dried, $110/rick.
Compare that with "go get your own" unseasoned wood for reference, which is typically $50/rick these parts.

No affiliation of course. If it's really kiln dried down to 20%, might be a god deal, supposedly bug-free too. I don't like to pay for wood, as I have tons... elbow-grease required of course :)

Attachments

• 00909_jfX6NfltXtn_600x450.jpg
    00909_jfX6NfltXtn_600x450.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 139
  • 00h0h_eM6oX1Q8PT5_600x450.jpg
    00h0h_eM6oX1Q8PT5_600x450.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 132
Agree... Although im loosing one of the places i get my wood as its being sold. Which is 80% black locust and cherry... Which means if i cant find a new place i might end up buying some.. If i do it will be a log load. I love the heat from a wood stove but i also enjoy running the saw and splitting the wood. I just had never seen wood sold that way. Give me more ideas to think of for better ways to streamline my process.

I'm thinking this probably works out to a little short of a rick. Assuming that's a standard 42" pallet, the volume should be about 43 cubic feet, which is indeed roughly a rick, but when properly stacked, you should get a little less. A loose pile supposedly has about 70% as much wood as the same volume stacked.

I suspect stuffing it into bags, it settles some so they get more like 80-90% as much. For the folks who want a convenient delivery, though, that's probably acceptable.

Status
Not open for further replies.