Craigslist find...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Corey

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Nov 19, 2005
Midwest
I guess you know heating season is just around the corner when the price of stoves starts to climb up. Though I think this is a bit of wishful thinking...

http://kansascity.craigslist.org/for/845692974.html

At first I thought the decimal might be in the wrong spot, but it's listed in the title and in the text of the ad. All I can say is good luck!

I wonder how heavy that beast is.Cool find If I had a hunting cabin that beast would be in there with three foot logs. Thats got to be hard to season that wood.

They forgot to add: will eat lots of wood. will smoke out your neighbor's turkey, while still in the freezer.

Way too high in price. I suspect that one's not any heavier than the old stove I just replaced. It was heavy but I managed to get it out with a dolly, ratchet strap and the help of a friend (I had taken the firebricks out--had to break most of them to get them out; they were wedged in tight). I gave my old stove to the fiend who helped me. I think he decided to try to find some place that would buy it for scrap steel since he doesn't want to mess with getting fire wood. The old beast would heat the whole house, but it took a while to warm up enough to throw off heat and it ate wood like crazy.

InTheRockies said:
...I gave my old stove to the fiend who helped me...

I gave my old stove away to a fiend as well. Rick

Hopefully not a really good fiend.

Wow... the previous homeowner here left one of those behind, and now it's sitting in the flowerbed as part of the landscaping.

Can an old stove like this be taken a metal recycler, and if so, would the amount paid for it as scrap be worth the effort of hauling it there?

I would suspect there should be metal recyclers in most areas--there's a junk yard with a crusher in this county that will buy old steel farm equipment, cars, etc. (in tough times, more and more people are taking non-working equipment to them that they might have otherwise have let sit and deteriorate on their property). The value, I don't know. You might check your local phone book and call some local recyclers or junk yards. It may not be worth your time, effort and gasoline.

Scrap prices right now are apparently pretty high. If you're just looking to get rid of it and don't care about getting any $$$, you might be able to find someone who would come haul it away. In my area, there are folks who advertise free scrap removal on Craigslist. If you're looking to pocket the scrap value, it might be more trouble than it's worth. Rick

Yikes. I don't think he has the decimal in the wrong place. He had to enter 1000 once in the asking price field, and then again in the description.

He's nuts.

Steel recycler here quoted $120 a ton, so an average stove might get you $20 to $25.... kind of a shame really, if it could be used again.

Status
Not open for further replies.