Craigslist junk stoves.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cmonSTART

Minister of Fire
I've been keeping an eye on Craigslist this year looking at wood stoves. It's interesting to see what's out there. There sure are a lot of junker Scandia and pot belly stoves out there. Folks are slapping a coat of stove paint on them and listing them for $300ish. "Won't last long at this price" and "Comes with the cement blocks it sits on" are some of the phrases I'm seeing. Lot's of real junker stoves. A few good old VC stoves, but mostly junkers.

There are plenty of heaps that are listed places other than craigslist too. Everyone sees an opportunity when they should just be scrapping them...

I basically agree, but I just missed a good deal on one. I didn't get a chance to ask as it was sold, but by the picture, it looked like a fairly new Englander 12 or 13 Model for $200.

Bill

Mostly it is just junk. but you can buy my older PE D1 insert for $350. new door gasket, new window gasket, new baffle,etc. And it is tested and listed to ULC5628. heh,heh, if ya want it, you will for sure pay for the shipping.

Actually I am gonna list it next week localy for Vancouver Island, and am gonna ask 450 and if no takers, well that will tell me no one is suffering here that much yet. And if they want it, they will sure as hell gonna have to come pick it up, no way I`m delivering that 400lb beast.

I got a feeling the Fire Dept is going to be busy this year....But then again I have been wrong before...

FIREFIGHTER29 said:
I got a feeling the Fire Dept is going to be busy this year....But then again I have been wrong before...

I'm thinking the same thing . . . especially with folks who are buying these stoves and installing them without paying attention to the "little" things like clearances, floor protection requirements, proper venting, etc. Of course I've been thinking this for the past two years . . . I think this year however will be THE YEAR when things start to really heat up . . . so to speak . . . for us in the fire service.

Crap stoves abound because they stick around and get posted over and over. The good stoves disappear in a day or two. I checked Craigslist 3-4x per day for 6 months, and just missed a couple good deals by a few hours before scoring on my current stove. I got my Avalon Olympic (with blower) in absolute mint condition for $500. From the time the guy posted it until the time I was at his house was about 6 hours. When he got off work, I was sitting at his house with cash and a trailer ready to take it home. One hour more and the listing was gone from Craigslist, so I'm sure very few people ever even saw it for sale.

firefighterjake said:
FIREFIGHTER29 said:

I'm thinking the same thing . . . especially with folks who are buying these stoves and installing them without paying attention to the "little" things like clearances, floor protection requirements, proper venting, etc. Of course I've been thinking this for the past two years . . . I think this year however will be THE YEAR when things start to really heat up . . . so to speak . . . for us in the fire service.

Ya Jake, time will tell. I think not with just poorly installed stoves but with space heaters and the C.O. issues that go along with that and even the calls that we are going to get to treat the elderly and poor that just plain ran out of heating fuel and are freezing.

FIREFIGHTER29 said:
firefighterjake said:
FIREFIGHTER29 said:

Ya Jake, time will tell. I think not with just poorly installed stoves but with space heaters and the C.O. issues that go along with that and even the calls that we are going to get to treat the elderly and poor that just plain ran out of heating fuel and are freezing.

Agreed . . . for folks that can't afford to go with a woodstove I suspect we'll see them dig out the old kerosene heaters they have in their attic, "invest" in the electric space heaters, etc. . . . and ditto on the elderly -- many of whom will no doubt opt to forego their meds to pay for heating oil or turn the heat down too low to make the oil last longer. In any case, I think this year will be the year.

Status
Not open for further replies.