Craigslist laugh of the day.....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
At least he put a tarp over it. But yeah that was just split last week.

Split that week, and.... take a good look at the closeups. I'm pretty sure I see some fir and some maple in his "100% oak" seasoned wood!

Split that week, and.... take a good look at the closeups. I'm pretty sure I see some fir and some maple in his "100% oak" seasoned wood!

I dont see any fir, but there is maple in there. I like the "conveniently placed oak steam leaf" in front. And the stump is ash. lol

Reactions: Ashful
Not going to post his ad and advert or out the the guy but how 'bout this?

Great quality firewood for sale (Well-seasoned, ready to burn, average of 8" to 12" long.
Mixed hardwood, oak, maple, mulberry, ash, cherry, locust.
1 STOVE cord (8" to 14" pieces x 4'H x 8'L) (approx. 150 pcs.) - $120.00 - Cash only!, $130 - Pay Pal or Visa.
to convert to full cord see explanation below:
Wood stacked and wrapped in plastic on the premises for $30.00 (1 to 2 stove cords); $50 (more than 2 cords).

So according to him he can deliver you his 4'x8' "Stove" cord of 8" pcs for $120. That's $720 a cord.

This is his explanation of a cord and why the stove cord is used. Guess he figgers we is too stoopid to get it.

A 'full' cord measures 4 ft. x 4 ft. x 8 ft. and is the official, standard firewood measure. But four foot pieces are never used for home heating, and dealers rarely sell four foot pieces. So firewood is not offered for sale in the form of its official unit measurement. This is why buying firewood can be confusing.

Other terms, such as face cord, stove cord or furnace cord are used to describe a stack of wood measuring 4 ft. high, 8 ft. long with a piece length shorter than 4 ft. The most common firewood piece length is 16 in., or one-third of a full cord, but other lengths are also available.

Then he says be careful buying wood you might get ripped off!

A 'full' cord
Forest Firewood sells what they call a 'face cord' for $100. You find that the pile is 4 feet high and 8 feet long, with an average piece length of 16 inches. Divide this length (16 in.) into the full cord length of 48 in. and multiply by the price.

Therefore, Forest Firewood sells firewood for $300 per cord.

If possible, avoid buying firewood in units that cannot be related to the standard full cord. Station wagon loads or other units are difficult to compare and can conceal a high price per cord measure.
measures 4 ft. x 4 ft. x 8 ft. and is the official, standard firewood measure. But four foot pieces are never used for home heating, and dealers rarely sell four foot pieces. So firewood is not offered for sale in the form of its official unit measurement. This is why buying firewood can be confusing.

I'd out the guy. That is straight-up swindling.

I'd out the guy. That is straight-up swindling.
Well Buyer Beware. I took the worst case scenario but his acceptable range would be $420-720/cord cash, $450-780/cord for paypal or credit. There were delivery charges too. My favorite part is his warning that odd measurements can conceal a high per cord cost. No kidding!

I just saw an ad for an electric splitter. 5 ton used for $250. Not working but just need a tune-up and will work good.

I'll get out my tools and tune it up :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Reactions: CrufflerJJ
I just saw an ad for an electric splitter. 5 ton used for $250. Not working but just need a tune-up and will work good.

I'll get out my tools and tune it up :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Yessir! A little tweaking with a Philips screwdriver and that burned-out armature will be good as new! ==c

That's actually not a bad idea, depending on the menu and which flavor of beer

Um, any beer that comes in a 30-pack would NOT be worth this....

haha thats great. Throw in a cord or 2 and it might be worth it

Um, any beer that comes in a 30-pack would NOT be worth this....
So, you're a beer snob? :) If I was still a drinking man, 15 silver bullets and a nice rib eye on the grill is worth helping split a cord of maple. That might take 2 hours tops?

Found an add for free wood on CL. The only catch is I HAVE to take the huge rounds first. They also require a "refundable" $100 deposit in case I break any sprinkler lines. lmao. Maybe mark out the sprinkler heads first? If I happen to break any lines because they're system is old, or they didn't bury the lines deep enough, seems like that should be on them, and not me.

I'd bring the splitter eat all his food drink all his beer and watch him split it. If he ain't done by the time I am me and splitter go bye LOL

Reactions: Anumber1
wth is a stove cord?

Some of these people's units of measurement are quite unique.
Best I can tell, it's 8' x 4' x something unknown. Most states have laws stating it is illegal to sell cordwood without specifying the volume, either in fractional cord (eg. 1/2 cord) or cubic feet, tightly stacked.

wth is a stove cord?
Some of these people's units of measurement are quite unique.
Here a stove cord is 8ft long X 4ft high X 16 inches wide
or 1/3 of a cord

This can't be a real ad right?? Do people without trees get leaves to scatter on their lawn????

image.jpg

Here a stove cord is 8ft long X 4ft high X 16 inches wide
or 1/3 of a cord

Not legally defined by any authority, therefore, not legally enforceable. If someone wants to deliver a 5 gallon bucket full of wood, and call it a face cord, stove cord, bush cord, or other likewise meaningless term, you won't have a legal leg to stand on.

Not legally defined by any authority, therefore, not legally enforceable. If someone wants to deliver a 5 gallon bucket full of wood, and call it a face cord, stove cord, bush cord, or other likewise meaningless term, you won't have a legal leg to stand on.

Not in Virginia but at least a dozen states that I know of cover it under their Department of Weights and Measures. Most notably New York, Maryland, New Hampshire, Minnesota...