Creaking and low clanging type noises from stove and liner - is this normal?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

KennyK

Feeling the Heat
Oct 26, 2011
Boston
As a new burner, I have noticed that my stove and liner make noises at times and I'd like to make sure this is all normal. Some of these are a little hard to describe, but they range from a howling wind sound from the liner that I mainly notice when I open the stove either to load or reload (I assume this is just draft from my long 30 ft. 6-inch stainless liner). I also notice a low clanging sounds that I think is from somewhere in the liner, and is reminiscent of sounds I heard as a kid growing up in an old house with old radiators throughout the night. I sometimes hear some clicking sounds from the stove itself, that sounds like someone is tapping on it with a piece of metal throughout the heating cycle. I have a cast iron Jotul F100, and I know metal expands and contracts when heating and cooling, so I think these sounds are probably normal, but want to double check - do others hear these and do you know what they are? Is this all normal?

Thanks!

Metal stoves make expansion and contraction noises, that's normal. With a 30' flue I'd expect some wind tunnel noises too!

The clanging from up top isn't normal for a flexible liner. Next time you sweep it, check the cap for loose bits and inspect the inside of the liner. If it's installed in an old fireplace, it could be that part of the old damper is hung up in there, banging against the bricks (this would also be a sign that you need a blockoff plate). If it's installed in a really big old fireplace, it could be that part of an old chimney sweep is hung up in there! :)

If it's installed in a really big old fireplace, it could be that part of an old chimney sweep is hung up in there! :)

I was wondering where that chimney sweep went! He seemed like a nice guy, but then just disappeared mid-job! :)

On a serious note, thanks for the input. I don't think I described the clanging liner sound well. It's not like something is banging on the liner and it doesn't sound like it's coming from the top of the liner (I'm not sure where in the liner) but almost like a certain point in expansion that the metal moves/bends in such a way that it makes a low percussive noise (not loud). Again, this kind of makes a sound like my old radiators made when I was a kid (and I never knew what that sound was either - perhaps expansion, perhaps an air bubble...?) In any case, I will double check that nothing is loose.

Kenny

Sounds normal unless it starts talking to you, then it would be a problem. I have a long liner too and it makes pings and other noises while it warms up, I assume you have a pretty good draft.