1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Creaking Glass on Arbor Woodstove

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by Mike Mosall, Jan 17, 2013.

1. Mike Mosall

Mike Mosall New Member

Hello everyone. This is my first post to these forums. I have already learned so much from your collective knowledge so thanks!

I have an Avalon Arbor woodstove. It has two glass doors on the front of the stove. Occasionally I notice the glass "creaks" in the front of the stove. Nothing is touching the glass (ie ash or wood). I can't seem to put my finger on why. It’s not predictable but seems to happen most often when I damp the stove down in the back. The stove is less than a year old. My Arbor is particularly noisy as it is but this makes me nervous. I would describe it as an occasional "knock" or "ping". Do I have anything to worry about or is this part of the "normal noise" the stove makes as it heats up. I called my dealer and they are checking with the distributor. They had never heard this one. Am I over analyzing the normal noise?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. DAKSY

DAKSY Patriot Guard Rider Staff Member

Loc:
    Averill Park, NY, on Burden Lake II...
    I'm not familar with the Avalon models, but it could be that your PyroCeram (stove glass) is in contact with the metal (cast iron) door. When the door heats/cools, it expands/contracts. If it's in contact with the PyroCeram, it may cause that sound. I'd check to make sure the gaskets on the PyroCeram are correctly installed...Just my $.02...
  3. Corey

Corey Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Midwest
    My stove makes all manner of creaks, pops, pings, squeaks, bangs, boings, etc when it's warming up or cooling down. Never noticed any issues due to it, so I think on the noise alone, it shouldn't be a problem. Technically the 'glass' - actually transparent ceramic has essentially zero thermal expansion. It is the ONE thing on the stove which doesn't grow/shrink with temp changes. So the sound is most likely due to metal - even though it may come from the area of the glass. Generally, the glass is isolated from the metal with a gasket, but there are also clips/tabs which hold it in - likely where the noise is coming from. I guess if the noise is objectionable, you might try to put a bit of gasket material under the metal clip as well, though again, there is really no harm in the noise itself.
  4. fossil

fossil Accidental Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Bend, OR
    I can't add anything useful to Corey's post above except to say, "I agree". The ceramic windows in your stove doors aren't making noise. Materials around them are making noise. I've never heard of a woodstove (with its attached flue system) that doesn't make some noises while heating up or cooling down. Rick
  5. Mike Mosall

Mike Mosall New Member

Thanks everyone!
  6. A1Stoves.com

A1Stoves.com Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern CA
    they did have issues with bad glass clips cracking glass a few years ago.
    they sent out free replacement clips
    maybe you got an old inventory unit??
  7. Mike Mosall

Mike Mosall New Member

As a follow up, I called the store that put the stove in last winter. They came out today and replaced the clips and gasket in the door. Nice guys! No more creaking!
  8. A1Stoves.com

A1Stoves.com Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern CA
    ^ glad it worked out for ya!