Creaking noises

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

avlism

Jan 28, 2009
Vancouver, WA
Hi there!

I just put in a Hampton HI200 and am wondering if it is normal for an insert to make creaking noises as it warms up. It sounds like the creaking I've heard baseboard heaters make when they are first heating up. Is this normal?

Thanks!

Melissa

Yes. Metal likes to "talk" to you as it is warming up.

Welcome to the forum Melissa.

avlism said:
Hi there!

I just put in a Hampton HI200 and am wondering if it is normal for an insert to make creaking noises as it warms up. It sounds like the creaking I've heard baseboard heaters make when they are first heating up. Is this normal?

Thanks!

Melissa

I agree with Dennis and what you're hearing is the metal expanding as it heats up so sit down and enjoy the warmth of your stove :)

Ray

Mine starts out talking slowly and as it heats up it talks faster until it is hot enough....then it shuts up.

Cold stove will creak and groan and "pop" as it gets hotter... cast iron anyway. Never heard a steel one make a peep, but they must at some level.

Steel talks !!

Mines talking right now ;-)

Sounds like you'll be fine, Melissa, and welcome to the forums !!

I generally creak and groan as I warm up. Occasionally I snap and pop too.

Well, it doesn't get any easier BeGreen. Get used to it.

Welcome Melissa, northwesterners are fairly rare here on the hearth forum.

Yep, they're noisy. Mostly as they warm up and somewhat noisy as they cool down. It's a good sound though and beats the heck out of a furnace anyday.

Phwew! Thanks for the warm welcome and for easing my worries. I'm really liking the insert so far. I had the typical newbie problem of getting crappy wood, so right now I'm burning bear bricks, which are awesome. They really throw out some heat. Thanks again for all your replies. I'll post some pics soon...I really love the look of the Hamptons.

Melissa

Status
Not open for further replies.