Creosote Accumulation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

IowaRSFBurner

Dec 27, 2017
Pella, Iowa
Ok guys, very curious here. Swept my chimney tonight with my soot eater, haven’t done this since thanksgiving of last year. I don’t even have a quarter cup of ash or creosote and last year after burning for 2 seasons I maybe had half to three quarters of a cup. I burn from basically November to April but stopped early because my catalyst plugged and was getting a strong smoke smell in the house. I pushed on the end of the soot eater and it would go any further so I’m sure I was at the top of my chimney (10 extension rods used with about 28 feet of chimney). Am I missing something or is this RSF opal 3C with the icc chimney just that good at burning hot?

A couple years ago I got a similar result with our stove using the sooteater, about a cup of soot. I skipped cleaning last year and got just twice as much. Clean living I guess. Dry wood rules.

If you burn hot, the stack stays hot enough all the way to the top that nothing condenses in the pipe.

Thank you for the responses, I do probably tend to burn hotter to be on the safe side. Only the last maybe 10 feet of chimney is outside and it’s in a chase so somewhat protected. I wouldn’t say my wood was perfect but I burned a lot of elm, ash, oak and hickory along with some hedge and bio bricks last year. Just want to be sure I’m not overlooking something. This is our dream home and I don’t want to mess that up.