CREOSOTE BUILD UP

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kshultz

Apr 19, 2008
Southern NH
I have been running my boiler for a few days now, but surprised by the amount of Creosote build up inside. I know that burning the fire hotter is better (I'm trying to do). Is there other options to limit the buildup? Anything I can burn to reduce the buildup inside. I can get my chimney & piping cleaned, but what is the best way to handle this black glob inside of my stove???? Thank's in advance.

Which boiler do you have and do you have storage?

I Know what your talking about. In the Biasi boiler the chamber that the wood is loaded into builts up this black tar like substance. I was a little worried about it untill I took off the panel to the upper chamber that is suppposed to be the reburn chamber. I found that there was no thick black creosote there but just fine brown ash that vacuums out with little to no effort.
Take a look in yours and tell me what you find I would be interested in how they compaired..

Most boilers, even gasifiers, get creosote buildup in the firebox, mainly because the firebox walls are cool due to the water on the other side of them, and when the smoke hits that cool surface, creosote forms. That's normal and really nothing to worry about. If you're getting lots of creosote in your chimney, however, then you need to take some corrective action. Plenty of things you can do, some more expensive than others.

Are you getting a significant amount of creosote in your chimney?

I have not checked my chimney yet, but will soon. Yes a lot in the fire box.
Dredknot - I will check the 2nd. chamber this weekend & let you know what I find. Is there anything I can do in the firebox to clean this stuff up later???
I do not have storage, but sure wish I did. 2 fires & I can see how important it is!

Status
Not open for further replies.