Creosote buildup in a f2450

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

castlecreek

Dec 20, 2023
Montana
I purchased a Regency F2450 high-efficiency stove. We had all kinds of issues with getting a fire started. Over time we learned that if it is under 250 it needs a lot of TLC. However at the end of the season the chimney was almost 100 percent occluded. I checked with the dealer and they NEVER called me back.(no help). I finally was able to clean it out and started using it this season, within 6 weeks, it is again plugged enough that it will not draft enough to support a fire. I am looking for any help I can get. Firebox runs at 400-500 and stack is about 250. 10ft single wall inside, 15ft Triple wall outside stack. Thanks.

Wood is 1 year old and has been inside after it dried outside. Last year it had been snowed on a little but was aged and dry before burning. Moist content shows at 12%

1 year since split or one year since cut? Did you check the moisture on a piece that was resplit seconds before you checked it? Many hardwoods can take 2, even 3 years to season fully.

If I remember correctly the 2450 had a “deflector” between the top of the stove and the baffle. There were a few threads about the 2450s being a pain to operate. I would make sure the deflector is installed correctly.

The moisture content was measured in wood that is being burned now. my wood is measuring 1-7% avg about 4%
How are you testing your wood? Those numbers simply are not possible in most parts of the country without the use of a kiln

Just a quick picture of the stack after 4-5 weeks, running almost non-stop, except for cleanout time.

thumbnail.jpg

I bought a like new F2400 several years ago from a gentleman that just couldn’t get the stove to draw properly. I took one look inside the firebox and immediately knew what the issue was from the coating of creosote on everything. Handed him the cash, cleaned the inside of the firebox up and fed it well seasoned wood. Have been burning it for three years now with zero issues. It’s a great stove. I highly suspect you have a wood problem as well. That’s a crazy amount of build up in that pipe.

There is no doubt that the meter has been used incorrectly. The firewood piece must be resplit in half, then measured in the middle of the freshly exposed face of the wood.