Creosote buildup in firebox of Gassifier

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a thought. Can I use a cooking thermometer to check my flue temps. I guess I could drill a 1/8 " hole in the stack and just put it in. Does anyone do this. Also, I've been thinking of getting some fire brick to put on the bottom of my Eko 25 to help retain heat. Does anyone add fire brick on the bottom where it gassifies? Also I was wondering if I could try to stack fire brick on the side walls of the fire box. I thought if I can keep the brick tight against the side walls it might keep creosote off the walls, make it last longer and maybe keep it hotter. Would this work?

If you could find a cooking thermometer that would take up to 1000 degrees F, I suppose it would work. I don't think I'd put firebrick in the firebox due to creosote getting between it and the steel. I seem to remember some OWB (I think) that had problems when the manufacturer started putting them in, and then were telling people to remove them. I'm just not sure how you could keep them tight enough to the wall to avoid creosote getting behind them.

I think BrotherBart once suggested using a barbecue thermo for measuring internal stack temps.

JayDogg said:
I wouldnt think that would give a very accurate reading though would it? I mean all your really getting is the temperature of the outside of the copper.

Copper is an excellent conductor of temperature-- put insulation over the outside, and the metal should be virtually the same as the water. After all, most "sensor wells" are brass, copper, etc.

ihookem said:
Just a thought. Can I use a cooking thermometer to check my flue temps. I guess I could drill a 1/8 " hole in the stack and just put it in. Does anyone do this.

Several recent posts on this topic. See THIS POST and THIS ONE. K-type thermocouples are very flexible in temp range and types of probes, and lots of quite inexpensive devices to read the temps. Have fun.

I got a couple that are about 1 1/4 inch and clip on with a spring loaded clip . There were in the plumbing / heating section aqt my local menards store for $15.00 or $20.00 and seem to be pretty close in temp

ihookem said:
Just a thought. Can I use a cooking thermometer to check my flue temps. I guess I could drill a 1/8 " hole in the stack and just put it in. Does anyone do this.

This is exactly what I did. Sealed it with high temp caulk and seems to work ok. Just be sure the scale goes high enough for your application. Mine goes to 600 and I know my stack never gets that hot.

Status
Not open for further replies.