Creosote buildup in the burnpot

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 6, 2008
I have a small buildup in the burn-pot that is very difficult to scrape clean I have chiseled with several tools chisel's,wire brushes but it is still there. Does anyone know of a chemical I can use to remove or soften the buildup that will not ruin the integrity of the steelbox? Oven cleaner? EF2 stove

I only shut down for cleaning. Clean every two days. Mostly white ashes with very little clinkers. THe whole pot burns pretty even. The buildup is not that bad but I think if not treated correctly in due time it will affect the air flow thru the holes.

I wouldn't use any chemicals on a burnpot. You need
to use some more elbow grease with a chisel. After
you break the crap out I'd suggest scraping the burnpot
more often. You may find you need a better tool for
the job than what you have been using.

Burn pot on our GlowKing comes right out...I use a welders chipping hammer for creosote b uild up...Works great...chissel edge on one end and pointed on the other.

as we are already there on what tools to use, I just use a pneumatic chisel from
my upholstery workroom. We use it for taking off old nails and staples from furniture frames.
But is very well suited for taking off any creosote buildup in the burn-pot.

Attachments

• Bantam air chisel.jpg
    Bantam air chisel.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 522
there is a product that is said to remove or reduce creosote so that it may be removed "easier" but I don't know if that would work in your application as it (I believe) to be meant more for fireplace chimneys. I had tried it to loosen up my pellet stove damper which was jammed from build-up from previous owners use. Did not work at all. I would suggest that you would take it to a grinding wheel that has a steel brush attachment on it or just use more elbow-grease. Just be sure that you don't compromise the integrity of the burn pot steel. good luck

A paint scraper works good for me. Seems the scraping tool that came with my pellet burner looses the sharpness in it's scraping edge pretty fast and slides over the burnpot buildup. The Paint scraper blade can be changed cheap and easy when it gets dull. And there are 4 edges on each blade. The handle length is long enough to scrape the bottom of the burn pot. The blade can be mounted on both sides of the handle so it gives a choice of 2 blade angles. Takes some pressure to get the blade to bite into the hard build-up but it does a good job and cleans everything from the surface of the burn pot.

tool.jpg

Put a point on the end of a long screwdriver with my grinder; it does a good job cleaning the corners of the burn pot.

PF100 pellet furnace
Outside air installed

I doubt it is true 'creosote', but just the usual carbon build up that comes with burning pellet fuel. Scrape more often, get a different tool, try a different fuel. Creosote is formed from unburned flue gases that hit a cooler surface and condense on that surface. A well performing pellet stove burns too efficient and has too little moisture in the fuel to make true creosote formation IMHO. Note I said 'well performing'.

All I use is a screwdriver. I can't imagine using anything more than that, it pops right off. What are you burning?

fire76 said:
With my Breckwell Big E, I just remove the burnpot and boil it in water for about 15 to 20 minutes and most of the carbon comes right off. :)

interesting.

I have noticed that the build up on the burnplate is so thin, that I actually rarely ever think anything is building up on it until I bump it with a screw driver and chip off a little.

I think I will try that water trick. Although I think 5 mins with my wire wheel on the bench grinder would do it too, but its cold in my garage and warm in the kitchen.

Status
Not open for further replies.