Creosote burning on low inevitable..............

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
After reading the specs on the St Croix stoves , my experience with my neighbors Englander 25PDV, and I`m sure most other stoves it`s easy to see why creosote doesn`t appear.
Example: the St Croix stoves minimum low burn rate is rated at 1.2 lbs of pellets per hr. My Harman is .75 lb. per hr.
Obviously with both stoves at the lowest setting of #1 you are going to get more heat (all things being equal) burning amost double the amount (in a St Croix) with less chance of any creosote .
I have more control on the low end but as usual there is always a trade off.
Everything in life is a tradeoff. It seems that for every advantage there is a dissadvantage somewhere.

Gio said:
Your stove #1 might not equate to my Harman #1. I can get 40 hrs on a bag. Are you getting that long a burn out of a bag?

I can get 32 hrs from a bag on the lowest setting so the creosote deal probably is stove specific.
Anyway I'm glad I don't get any. One less thing to worry about.
2thumbs.gif

I dont think creosote is stove specific I've seen it in my st croix burning on low.

ok, wrong choice of words then - it's specific to something because I've never had any. ;-)

Xena said:
ok, wrong choice of words then - it's specific to something because I've never had any. ;-)

Flue wall temperature, exhaust gas temperature, length of time for the exhaust gases to transit the flue system, etc .... in short anything that causes the 'sote to condense on surfaces and keeps the system at that state. Your flue system starts in the burn pot.

SmokeyTheBear said:
Xena said:

Flue wall temperature, exhaust gas temperature, length of time for the exhaust gases to transit the flue system, etc .... in short anything that causes the 'sote to condense on surfaces and keeps the system at that state. Your flue system starts in the burn pot.

Yup, I learned a lesson. You can burn a pellet fire just so low without experiencing the consequences. The laws of physics are hard to change.
Even a Harman can`t bend those rules.

Status
Not open for further replies.