Creosote in back of insulation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Ctwoodtick

Minister of Fire
Jun 5, 2015
Southeast CT
i have an insulated liner in masonry chimney. Chimney was cleaned before pro install of insert. I don’t believe every bit of my chimney is viewable by naked eye. Odd question, but in the event that there was the odd bit of buildup left over by mistake on masonry on back of liner, how much risk is actually posed with insulated liner?

Not much at all, insulated liner will protect any "remnants" stuck to the masonry

Not much at all, insulated liner will protect any "remnants" stuck to the masonry
Well no not nessecarily. The chimney still needs cleaned properly

Well no not nessecarily. The chimney still needs cleaned properly

Have you seen or heard of situations that heat transfer through insulated liner led to remnant creosote igniting? Not questioning your response, just curious.

Have you seen or heard of situations that heat transfer through insulated liner led to remnant creosote igniting? Not questioning your response, just curious.
Yes but it is very rare. Most of the instances where left over creosote ignites it is from un insulated liners. But there is still a risk. But the only way you would reach the temps required would be with an intense chimney fire in the new liner.