Creosote in the wood stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mol1jb

Feeling the Heat
Jan 8, 2014
Central IL
Hey all,

First off I want to say I am a big fan of this site. Been reading all the great info for some time. Now on to my delima.

I have a slight creosote build up in the back of my NC-30. Yes my wood is less than ideal, but not terrible. With a fresh split I usually MM around 20-25%. Not great but certainly could do worse. Unfortunately its all I have this year. Secondly, since this is my first year on the NC-30 the wood was a bit longer than is ideal, splits ranging from 18-20'' usually. I figured that is reducing my air flow on the back side and because of that the fire in the back is not as hot as it should be. With those 2 factors combined, I am assuming that is why I am getting the build up. It is primarily on the back inside wall of the stove. Anyone else had this problem? Any thoughts?

What stove top temps is the stove running at? Maybe turn up the air more towards the end of the burn?

What stove top temps is the stove running at? Maybe turn up the air more towards the end of the burn?
Anywhere between 500*-700* in the main burn. If I have it on the high side, it lessens the build up.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. Check the chimney for build up after each cord burned and try to get ahead on the wood for next season, now.

The part between the bricks in the back is the secondary air channel. Cooler air coming through it. That and if you are running the blower that cools the back wall of the stove. If the rest of the bricks clean up during the burn don't worry about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.