Creosote Removers

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have seen these advertised and would like your opinions.

If you have tried them or have knowledge, do they work?

If so, how often should they be added to the fire?

Tomorrow, they start installation of our new hearth and wood stove replacement.

The chimney sweeping log will modify creosote to a more brushable form but doesn't exactly sweep the chimney for you. You still need to have a sweep or sweep yourself. A product call cre-away is great for breaking down 3rd degree as well but is usually only needed in chimneys with poor draft (excessive cooling) or with appliances that are improperly operated. With proper operation & installation of your stove you shouldn't really need such products.

I knew someone who never used theose products in their chimney. They decided to try some product, and they ended up with a chimney fire, almost burnt down the house. I dont know exactly what it did, but I wouldn't use them. I just brush it when needed.

I sincerely doubt that the product was the cause of the chimney fire. Creosote forms and when it hits 3rd degree stage it's usually just a matter of time.

I have a 1980 fireplace insert with a slide damper 39X3 opening . I vent directly into my fireplace. I use ACS (Anti-Creosote Solution) spray. I spray it on my fire and firebrick. It DOES work. Iv'e seen it take that thin coat of shiny stuff from my top 2 flue tiles, and turn it into a grey flakey ash type substance, which brushes easily down the chimney. I clean my fireplace, smoke shelf and chimney at least once a month, using the ACS at least twice a week, and I have no problems with creosote build-up. Due to my slide damper- instead of round or oval flue opening in my stove, I stay digilent on cleaning schedule, due to not being able to invent some type of adapter to at least make a direct connection.

If a fires burned hot enough, you shouldnt have to worry about it.

Shane said:
I sincerely doubt that the product was the cause of the chimney fire. Creosote forms and when it hits 3rd degree stage it's usually just a matter of time.

You're right Shane. But ACS and its other brand buddies lower the combustion temp to 250 degrees once it permeates the stuff. With a "direct dump" insert, flame impengement will set that stuff off in a heartbeat. I have used it for years and advise anybody that does to start with a clean chimney first and use it a few times a week to prevent, not remove, build-up. Lay a layer of it on top of 3rd stage and you might as well just dial 911 and give them the time and date that you are lighting the match.

And you should never spray it on a burning fire. The stuff exlodes. And if that flame ever made it back into the bottle it would explode fire all over you and everything in sight. Just like lighter fluid. I intentionally torched some Rutland brand to see. Wow!

Damn- Instrutions for first time use, With a small fire burning spray about 60 squirts on the interior walls of the firebox, wood, and towards the flue opening. Yikes!!! like lighter fluid????
BrotherBart, thanks for that info!!!!!!!! I usually spray it on the fire, no more> But after cleaning, I do use it twice weekly, as a prevention. The top 2 flue sections, always seems to have that real thin coating, you can actually scratch it off with your fingernails, not thick just thin thin coating.

hardwood715 said:
Damn- Instrutions for first time use, With a small fire burning spray about 60 squirts on the interior walls of the firebox, wood, and towards the flue opening. Yikes!!! like lighter fluid????
BrotherBart, thanks for that info!!!!!!!! I usually spray it on the fire, no more> But after cleaning, I do use it twice weekly, as a prevention. The top 2 flue sections, always seems to have that real thin coating, you can actually scratch it off with your fingernails, not thick just thin thin coating.

And you have noticed that "poof" when you spray it on the hot fire I bet. I did that for years before the night that I took the top off the botttle and threw the last dregs in the stove. The flame traveled back up the stream and blew the bottle out of my hand and across the family room. The next day I took the torch to a puddle of the stuff and, viola, it burned.

I hate admitting all of my screw-ups here but if it keeps somebody from getting hurt, the hell with pride.

I've learned alot from your posts, and I admit I ddddidnt know squat before joining this forum last year, you guys have saved my butt more than once, Much abliged, its like trial and error, and I for one appreciate you passing on your lessons learned!

Status
Not open for further replies.