Creosote removing products. Opinions?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jlggomez

Jan 1, 2021
Andes, NY USA
Hello and Happy New Year! New to the forum and thanks in advance.

I have been researching creosote removing products (logs, sprays, etc.) for possible use in my VC Encore Defiant wood burning stove. I gather from reading that some of these products help with further buildup of creosote. However, it is not clear from any of the reading that I have done whether these products actually remove, or at least reduce the amount of EXISTING creosote buildup. Any thoughts and/or opinions would be appreciated; as well as recommendations of the best products to use.

Thank you!

jlggomez

Reactions: Tar12
It looks like a guy can use with the bypass opened on a catalytic stove. I didn’t see the directions but it shows it being sprayed on a reload?

I bought this a little over a year ago because I got into some not so desirable wood. I had some shiny creo up near the top of my chimney. As per instructions I would just sprinkle a tablespoons worth in a new fire or on a reload and let it burn for a little bit before closing the damper. I just cleaned my chimney the other day for the first time in probably a year and I was very pleased at what I found. Pipe came out very clean. Only had between 2-3 cups of powder. That’s with two shoulder seasons and December of 2020 since my last cleaning. I’ve had no issues with the cat either. It still lites off no problem.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 98
Reactions: Nealm66
I’ve had zero issues.