Creosote running down wall

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

cozycottage200

Jul 21, 2022
Massachusetts
My husband and I recently bought a house with a wood stove and the first time (and only time) we tried to use it last fall it started to leak black liquid down from where the pipe and wall meet, but it leaks even when we don't use it! We've had chimney people come out and inspect it and have heard a few different suggestions that are on the more expensive side and more on how to bring it up to code. So I thought I might ask on here if anyone has had this issue and know how to fix it without putting in a steel liner. (Also our chimney has a clay tile liner and we don't plan to use this stove that often, it's in our 3 season room and is not our main source of heat.)
There are some cracks between the house and the chimney that I wonder if rain water is getting in and leaking through? We know our interior pipe is very rusted and plan on replacing it. I've attached pictures, unfortunately I didn't take pictures when it leaked dark brown/black watery liquid while the fire was going, I cleaned the wall and this is the brown stuff that since then has been leaking in. Any ideas??

IMG_9243 copy.jpg IMG_9241.jpg IMG_9244.jpg

My husband and I recently bought a house with a wood stove and the first time (and only time) we tried to use it last fall it started to leak black liquid down from where the pipe and wall meet, but it leaks even when we don't use it! We've had chimney people come out and inspect it and have heard a few different suggestions that are on the more expensive side and more on how to bring it up to code. So I thought I might ask on here if anyone has had this issue and know how to fix it without putting in a steel liner. (Also our chimney has a clay tile liner and we don't plan to use this stove that often, it's in our 3 season room and is not our main source of heat.)
There are some cracks between the house and the chimney that I wonder if rain water is getting in and leaking through? We know our interior pipe is very rusted and plan on replacing it. I've attached pictures, unfortunately I didn't take pictures when it leaked dark brown/black watery liquid while the fire was going, I cleaned the wall and this is the brown stuff that since then has been leaking in. Any ideas??

View attachment 297225 View attachment 297226 View attachment 297227
You have a very short chimney with a fairly long horizontal run. This is really going to reduce your draft and make proper operation difficult.

What condition is the catalytic converter in the stove? Did you replace it? What moisture content is your wood at? What pipe temps were you running at?

Is there metal pipe through the cement blocks or a clay thimble? If metal, it may be the thimble is rotted out? Agreed that the long horizontal run is not helping matters.

If stuff came running out when the stove was not hot, I think you have water intrusion into the chimney.