Cruising on secondary air

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Mech e

Feeling the Heat
Feb 26, 2019
NorCal
www.dtengineer.com
Been running the stove all day at about 400 STT. I add a single split about every 3 hours or so and get a clean secondary burn with each split. I use about 6 splits a day to maintain even heat in our living areas.
20201119_170948.jpg

Been running the stove all day at about 400 STT. I add a single split about every 3 hours or so and get a clean secondary burn with each split. I use about 6 splits a day to maintain even heat in our living areas.
View attachment 267257

To each his own I guess but? Can't you simply fill the stove completely with a full batch and call it a day?

I'd like to, but I have not been able to keep the stove burning clean at about 400 with a full load. It always climbs to 600+, driving everyone out of the house. Suggestions?

I'd like to, but I have not been able to keep the stove burning clean at about 400 with a full load. It always climbs to 600+, driving everyone out of the house. Suggestions?

Yaaa. 600+ is not a surprise. I didn't know you were having a overheating issue. Turning the air down considerably sooner than when you have been is my only thought on keeping your STT down with a full load. Possibly worth experimenting.

Yaaa. 600+ is not a surprise. I didn't know you were having a overheating issue. Turning the air down considerably sooner than when you have been is my only thought on keeping your STT down with a full load. Possibly worth experimenting.

He's running a noncat stove. They burn clean by burning hot and are purposely built to prevent the operator from burning low and slow.

The spoon feeding is a reasonable solution to regulate room temperature when a clean burning temperature with a full batch of fuel is too much heat.

Reactions: mar13 and Mech e
He's running a noncat stove. They burn clean by burning hot and are purposely built to prevent the operator from burning low and slow.

The spoon feeding is a reasonable solution to regulate room temperature when a clean burning temperature with a full batch of fuel is too much heat.
Yep. Got to admit though, it is days like this that I am tempted to change to a BK. We enjoy seeing the fire, so I have avoided cat stoves after owning the Dutchwest and losing the black glass battle. It seems from reading here, however, that the newer BK 20.2/30.2 fireboxes might do a little better in that area.

Which stove is this? There are 4 listed in the signature line.

Does the fisher even have glass? Or secondary air?

Yes, sorry, I listed them in order of ownership. The Fisher did have glass, circa 1981. The current stove is the 1800.

Reactions: Highbeam
Yes, sorry, I listed them in order of ownership. The Fisher did have glass, circa 1981. The current stove is the 1800.
You can use the strikeout text option to indicate past use.
A full load in a non-cat is going to get it warm. I have found that cutting back the air aggressively helps. With a 50% full firebox, I can hold the stovetop to under 500º yet still have a clean burn. The other part of the issue is the stove location, room size, floor size and openness of the floor plan. If the stove is in a small well-insulated space then it is likely to overheat the space until it gets very cold outside. Moving the heat out of the space can help within reasonable limitations.

Reactions: Mech e