Crumbling Refractories

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DiscoInferno

Minister of Fire
I'm finishing up the second full year with the Ultima, which has custom cast refractory panels on the sides and in the back. After the first year, they looked pristine when I pulled them out to clean. Lately, though, I can see that they're not doing so well cosmetically, and possible structurally. The facing of all three panels is pitted and crumbling, exposing embedded stones and such. The back panel has some cracks of uncertain depth, and I'm afraid it might break in half when I pull it out. I don't think I did anything significantly different this year, I burned mostly the same wood types and if anything reduced the number of really high-temperature spikes. So what's the consensus? Just expected deterioration? (The warranty on them was all of 3 months.) How long should such a panel last? Would it make sense to slather some furnace cement all over the panels when I have them out later this year? I can't seem to find a replacement cost online, but I'm pretty sure it's not going to be good so I want to make these last as long as possible.

That seems real short for a warranty - are you sure? I think this is the policy.... and I would think it would apply to the Ultima..... though not sure, and it seems like the refractory package would be covered:

http://chemineesecurite.com/PDF/warranties/fireplaces/Warr_LeLaval.PDF

EDIT: My mistake - looks like the 2nd year the refractory package is excluded..... though to me - that sounds like a real short expected life.... maybe the dealer could work something out.

The three-month number is in my electronic copy of the manual, not sure what's in my actual printed copy. Certainly it's not covered now. Unfortunately I don't have a dealer, per se; my installer got it for me from his supplier for a better price than I could find it elsewhere, but he has no ties to Security.

Now that I read the warranty closer, I see two unrelated but interesting tidbits: They actually do define overfiring as temperatures that cause metal parts to glow red. (I'll presume the burn tubes don't count.) I had complained before that they never defined the term, while claiming it voided the warranty. I also note that they insist the unit is not for primary heating, which is odd given that they offer kits to blow hot air to remote rooms as well as to tie into central air ducts. Must be some sort of lawyer speak.

Status
Not open for further replies.