Crumbling refractory panels?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

joudin

Oct 26, 2023
Georgia
I have a 20+ year old wood fireplace. The only #s I can see on it are GR6 , E42, and AG754667. The rear and floor panels are crumbling badly. Can I replace them or consider high-heat cement/mortar? thx!

Is this a wood or gas fireplace? Can you post some pictures of the whole fireplace and of its interior?

Is this a wood or gas fireplace? Can you post some pictures of the whole fireplace and of its interior?
Thx for the reply! It's a wood burning FP. I have a heavy iron decorative plate against the back panel to project the heat out. In this first photo you can see the cement? base of the box is a mess. In the 2nd photo, see a close up of what the back panel looks like from it's lower left corner.

FP1.jpg FP2.jpg

It's possibly a Heatilator E42 which will require replacement parts from a Heatilator dealer.

Reactions: joudin