Crust in liner after sweeping

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Drabe95

Oct 30, 2017
CNY
I climbed up on the roof tonight after work to sweep my flue for the season. This my second season burning. The stove was installed by a previous owner and my friend swept it for me last year as he doesn't mind heights. His schedule is full this year with a new baby so I had to put my big boy pants. After talking myself up to get through my fear of heights i was up there cleaning away. The creosote was kind of bad around the top but it was expected as I had less than seasoned wood last year. After sweeping away a bunch a crap I shined a light down and didn't see more build up. Up top I had it quite clean but after what seemed like a lot of brushing there was still a bit of a thin crust at the bottom. I was losing daylight so I climbed down.

My question is, do I have to climb up there again and keep going or is this thin crust normal? I'm itching to start burning as the temps have dropped from 80 2 days ago to a high 40s for next few days and I'd really like to keep the furnace off

Last edited:
Sounds like it should be pretty good if you have fully seasoned wood to burn this year. With a small hot fire it may burn off.