CT First Fire of Season

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jay106n

Minister of Fire
Apr 1, 2015
Litchfield County, CT
In the 20's here in CT, had some snow showers during the day. My chimney is clean, my fire box is clean in my All Nighter Moe in the basement. I just could not resist dipping into my stash of dry cherry. First time in a while my floor boards of the 1st floor have been warm. I stood in front of the basement doorway wafting up the hot air and said "ahhhh I miss that". My wife looked at me like I was crazy.

IMG_5274.jpg

Last edited:
Lit the stove this morning. It's been so nice this fall the drop in temp and snowfall this weekend was almost a bit of a shock. Fire sure felt nice, looking forward to many more....

22 outside at the moment, I've got some Cottonwood and Boxelder burning in the stove and it's 73 in here. This is the first weekend I've really burned. I had a fire about a week ago just to take the chill off.

In the 20's here in CT, had some snow showers during the day. My chimney is clean, my fire box is clean in my All Nighter Moe in the basement. I just could not resist dipping into my stash of dry cherry. First time in a while my floor boards of the 1st floor have been warm. I stood in front of the basement doorway wafting up the hot air and said "ahhhh I miss that". My wife looked at me like I was crazy.

IMG_5274.jpg
I hear you. We got back from Church and my wife says "are you going to light a fire today?" and that was my cue. Grabbed an armload of my dry cherry and fired up the stove. Heck, I even tossed in a few pieces of 8 month-old white oak once my coalbed was good and hot (split very small, mind you) and it burned wonderfully.

ive done 2 break in fires on the Clydesdale, figure i might do a full load tonight.

I got the best laugh today. So today is day 2 of my burn. The temperature outside is a bit warmer so i got the house up to about 70 degrees just on stove heat (usually we hover around 60ish). My wife came home from work and says "Ahh I love days like this." I looked at her and said "Why is that?" She responds, "The house is warm, the floors are warm, it smells good, everything is just nice." So I respond, "Yeah isn't the heat from the stove great?" She says, "Wait, I thought we agreed we're not burning this year?" hahaha getting the wife hooked.

Had to go ahead and do it tonight. Little girl is gonna demand it every night until May now.

IMG_0177.JPG

;lol;lol

Cat.

Not real big but bigger than when I found her scared to death in the rafters of my pole barn eight years ago. Took three months to get near her. Vet figured less than a year old. Now when it is cold she comes in from outside and parks in front of the stove and looks at me with a look that says "Well, when ya gonna light this sucker?".

68 years old and the first pet I have ever had.

Spent the weekend burning during the day, and let it go out overnight. yesterday I lit it up when I got home, burned all afternoon and set it up to burn overnight for the first time. I've been slowly working out my skills and getting over my fears and each time it gets a little better. The Oslo is doing a great job overall. Last night I went to bed and it was 70 downstairs, 64 upstairs. When I woke up the fire was out, but downstairs was 66 and upstairs was 62. not bad for low 30's overnight and a 2700 sq ft home. Plus my overnight burn was three splits.

These two have started to linger near the stove more. The little one (right side by the window) loves to be toasty. The big one (on the couch) hangs out for a bit, then heads upstairs where its cooler.

They work pretty good? How are they compared to the blower?

Nowhere near the volume of a blower but what I wanted was to move heat out of the fireplace. Great for that.

Very nice! Just fired up our Regency CI600 for the first time this year. Wood is much drier than last year, had a great fire.

IMG_1462.JPG

put in some kindling and about 4 pieces of wood. got the living area of the house up to about 72. fan is still blowing should hold the heat off all night.

Reactions: Jay106n
Yes it is that time of the year. Looking like tonight is another night to fire up the mid moe! View attachment 165002

That is an interesting place you put your thermometer (on the side). What temp do you run at from there, and what temp is on your pipe?

Thanks, I like where it is too because it's kinda out of the way and your not constantly looking at it. Depending on the fire load I average the stove around 500 and the pipe around 450. Let me know if this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.