Cumberland MF3800 Burning Corn 1st time

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FrozenSpartan

Mar 2, 2014
Mid-Michigan
Hello everyone new to the sight and Pellet stoves this year. I was wondering if anyone out there was burning Corn in their Cumberland? What setting do you run it at.

I have used pellets all winter but wanted to try corn before the season was over. Purchased 200 lbs from a friend. I was reading the manual and if i am reading it right, Corn should be ran on Ranges 1 or 2 but that just does not give me enough heat When it is -3 outside. I also wondered why the manual says to run corn on Ranges 1-2 and Pellets on 2-3-4. Is it going to hurt the stove if I run corn on 3-4?.

Great site. I have learned a lot reading through the post.

If its anything like the pc45 the pot will overflow with hot coals if pushed beyond the suggested rate. Corn is a bit denser per volume than pellets that's why the lower feed rate.

Last edited:
Hello everyone new to the sight and Pellet stoves this year. I was wondering if anyone out there was burning Corn in their Cumberland? What setting do you run it at.

I have used pellets all winter but wanted to try corn before the season was over. Purchased 200 lbs from a friend. I was reading the manual and if i am reading it right, Corn should be ran on Ranges 1 or 2 but that just does not give me enough heat When it is -3 outside. I also wondered why the manual says to run corn on Ranges 1-2 and Pellets on 2-3-4. Is it going to hurt the stove if I run corn on 3-4?.

Great site. I have learned a lot reading through the post.
FS,
The numbers they give you in the manual for combustion rate, are a little off, i haven't ever been able to run any pellet at 2, only 3 and 4. i have run a 50/50 mix of corn and pellets at 3 no issues. try 3/1 keeping the feed rate low, see how it heats then, bump up for feed rate but keep on eye on it, make sure the corn is burning all the way and not going to spill over.

FS,
The numbers they give you in the manual for combustion rate, are a little off, i haven't ever been able to run any pellet at 2, only 3 and 4. i have run a 50/50 mix of corn and pellets at 3 no issues. try 3/1 keeping the feed rate low, see how it heats then, bump up for feed rate but keep on eye on it, make sure the corn is burning all the way and not going to spill over.

Thanks for the tip. I will give that a try.

Status
Not open for further replies.