curing a painted stove in the driveway question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

matlocc

Jan 22, 2015
michigan
I am redoing an insert and when the temps get warmer I would like to paint it and then do a couple burns in my driveway to cure the paint.
Has anyone done this? Do I need to attach a liner to it for this process or just leave the top open?

Done it with three stoves Well, more. Five coats of paint with a cool down and re-fire after each coat.

running hot.jpg pdvc outside.jpg 30 break in.jpg

Reactions: CrufflerJJ
Gotta have a pipe on it. You will have to leave the door cracked open to get a draft anyway. Without some sort of chimney you will have a heck of a time even getting it hot enough the cure the paint.

But it can be done with a piece or two of stove pipe.

I used three 24" pieces of single wall pipe on my stove when I cured it outside. I actually got a pretty good draft going since it was in the low teens that day. You might want to avoid running the pipe through the basketball hoop. It will get pretty hot, likely hot enough to scorch or melt the paint on the hoop/backboard. Three screws at each joint should be plenty to keep the pipe upright.

I was going to wire it to the front outside of the hoop, would it get hot enough to screw up the back board? I only have a 13 foot piece of flex liner.

Its possible, especially if the end of the liner is in front of the backboard. Do you have anything metal you could attach to the hoop and use as a standoff to keep the liner further away from the hoop? A pair of light gauge fence posts or something similar might work well.

Status
Not open for further replies.