Curing High Temp stove paint

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

John_M

Minister of Fire
Dec 10, 2008
Central NY
Before installaing my Simpson DVL double wall stove pipe I painted it with two light coats of Forest paint's "Stove Brite" in Goldenfire Brown color. Typical of most high temp paints, this one requires a two step curing process with an initial medium burn, followed by a high burn on another day after the stove has cooled.

I followed the above two step process about two months ago when I started using my newly installed stove. Both initial fires produced the anticipated smoke and easily identified stinky paint curing smell. Because of the weather, most of my burning since then has been a medium fire. There has been no smell or other indication (other than great heat and a great fire) that the stove is even burning. The Outside Air Kit (OAK) works marvelously in my situation.

However, two nights ago the indoor thermometer was reading 60 degrees so I decided to start a good fire for quick heat. I added a couple of 6" rounds later on to create an overnight burn. Got a great fire going (no overfire) and boy did the paint curing stink come back with a vengence. Apparently, all the burning during the last two months did not get hot enough to cure the paint on the outside wall of the double wall pipe. So, here I was with the house smelling (no smoke) like a hazardous waste site and me not wanting to open the doors and windows because of the cold outside air. I turned on both ceiling fans, both bathroom exhaust fans and opened a kitchen window about two inches. The stink gradually diminished and was gone about an hour later. I sat watching tv from a position near the kitchen window. I was wearing a hooded sweat shirt with the hood up.

It seems that even though one believes he has followed all the recommended steps, it is easy to overlook an obvious detail (the temp of the outside wall of pipe).

Best wishes for strong chimney drafts, no backpuffing, and good health to all.

John_M

Status
Not open for further replies.