Curious what type of tree this was

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr A

Minister of Fire
Nov 18, 2011
N. California
Now that I've got my insert installed, I'm keeping my eye s open for free wood. Finding lot's of pine, and a few big rounds of this stuff. Any idea what it is?

Attachments

• Optimized-IMG_20111111_120658.jpg
    Optimized-IMG_20111111_120658.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 581
Yeah the round you have in the driveway there is ash. The leaf you have in your hand is a rhododendron........two totally different plants my friend. ;-P

Looks Ash to me too. Those leaf groups are Ash like, but Hickory also has similar types of leaves. I believe it is the number that differentiates them.

The leaves came from the branches of tree that was cut down. I know what type of wood it is, it's FIREwood! It is kind of fun though to hunt down what kind of tree it is. I dont think it is ash or hickory, the leaves dont match. It is similar to live oak, but not quite.

Looks a whole lot like Shingle Oak. But if you cut it in Northern California it can't be Shingle Oak as it only grows from western PA through IN, IL, KY to Arkansas. The bark on the round does not look right to be California Bay Laurel but from the picture it's hard to say for sure. If the leaves came from the same tree as the round, for sure it's not Ash. Where did you cut it?

Sorry guys but those leaves are definitely not Ash. The leaves in the picture are simple, not compound like an Ash. The twig in the picture has a bunch of leaves attached to a twig, not a bunch of leaflets along a stem as a compund leaf would have. Apparently the leaves are arranged in an alternate pattern, not opposite like Ash (although it is hard to tell in the picture - the leaves are close together at the end of each twig which is typical of all trees and that makes it hard to tell opposite from alternate). So, instead of opposite compound leaves those are alternate simple leaves.

I wonder if that is a California Bay Laurel. Google it to see pictures. The leaves look very close to yours.

Mr A said:
Now that I've got my insert installed, I'm keeping my eye s open for free wood. Finding lot's of pine, and a few big rounds of this stuff. Any idea what it is?

Ash here too!

If the twig was rhododendron the stem under your thumb would be green. That (what little we can see) looks brown, which could be live oak.

Sure does look like rhododendron leaves and an ash round, though.

Definitely not ash leafs . . .

This came out of the front yard of a home in Citrus Heights, CA. The round is 30" across, and weighs a few hundred pounds. I picked up 3 rounds, the easy stuff was already taken. I just rolled it up a 4X4 into the back of my pickup. Here is pic from google street view of the house, with the tree. I haven't figured out how to get a better pic copied from google maps. From this pic, the tree was diciduous. It was cut in early November, the image date is Feb. 2009, it looks like it is budding. The leaves were all over the yard so I assumed they were from the tree, but if it starts to bud in Feb the leaves would have fallen already in Nov.?

Attachments

• Optimized-tree.jpg
    Optimized-tree.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 243
I'm going with bay laurel or myrtle as well. The reference pages says the leave are quite pungent, should be real strong smelling like bay that you cook with.

Status
Not open for further replies.