Current draw on a Hearthstone Clydesdale blower

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

rocklobster

Hearth Supporter
Aug 15, 2010
Western CT
Does anyone know what the current draw is to run the blower on a new Hearthstone Clydesdale insert? Is it speed dependent?

I asked the dealer and he did not know. I couldn't find it in the manual either.

Thanks,
Joe

I'm guessing 60-70 watts.
Probably a rheostat design..so I think it draws about the same no matter the speed...I could be wrong.
Your millage will very!

Definitely low enough to not be of any concern if using a 15A circuit.

25 watts at lowest setting and 71 watts at highest setting. measured with a kill a watt.

The max wattage on mine was 66 the lowest setting 38. I run mine where its about 1/2 dial wheel pulls about 52. Your current will vary based on the terminal voltage at you house. Fortunately I'm a bit high here ~121V. probably saved me money before they put the new "smart meter" on house. The digital meters are able to compensate for variations in voltage.
Either way if you ran it on high(a little too noisy for my liking) and said 70w the fan running wide open for an entire billing cycle at $0.15/kwhr it'll cost about $7.50/month. Chances are the phantom loads in your house pull 1.5-2x that.
If your voltage is nominal 110V : 70w/110v=0.63A
I pull the ashlip off the front of stove and vacuum the squirel cage throughly twice a season and clean the fine mesh grilles, blow out the motor/bearing areas with canned air while your in there.

"Fortunately I’m a bit high here ~121V. probably saved me money before they put the new “smart meter†on house."
Why would that save you money?

higher voltage =less current draw
Older meters turned off the induction created by the strength/amplitude of the current being draw through the base.

BASOD said:
higher voltage =less current draw
Older meters turned off the induction created by the strength/amplitude of the current being draw through the base.
I=E/R, if the resistance stays the same the current goes up with higher voltage.

P=V*I
power draw is the same no matter what voltage is therefore current varies inversely with voltage

BASOD said:
P=V*I
power draw is the same no matter what voltage is therefore current varies inversely with voltage
Nope, increase the voltage and the current goes up as ohms law states, have proved it many times in the last 25 years, sorry for hyjacking this thread, you can PM me and I can send you a ton of links bur remember it is proven fact, do your own research.

If V=I*R, increasing voltage would increase current. But I don't have purely resistive loads in my house as you probably understand there are capactive and inductive loads in ac circuits throughout our world.
I remember running a test my power equipment lab when in college with the same equipment varying voltage which produced reduced current draw.
This applies specifically to motors or inductive circuits which are probably the biggest consumers of power in our homes think well pumps, fans, AC compressor, refrigerators etc. Not so much for electric ranges that are basically resistors.
If anything having higher terminal voltage reduces any inefficiencies resulting from the voltage drop that occurs under high load conditions(air conditioner)
Like I said probably saved me some money -never broke out the power quality meter and ran any tests.

It gets messy now, but if you are running a motor within it ratings on the name plate and you keep the same load the current goes up with an increase in voltage, not the same as a resisitive load but it will increase. If the motor is over loaded the current will go up because it is trying to make the same horsepower.

Status
Not open for further replies.