Curved insert shroud?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rob 24

Sep 27, 2016
Wrightwood
Hello, I'm new to this forum and i'm really hoping someone on here can help me get an insert into my fireplace. The only reason I haven't set one in there yet is figuring out how to seal it. So does anyone know how I could go about this? Sorry the pics arent better, but I'm guessing the center protrudes a good 6" from the sides. I guess I could cut relief notches and bend a straight shroud to match the curve? IDK. Thanks again!

Rob
20160311_161239.jpg 20160311_161244.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I would trim the surround down and set the insert back inside. I have never seen one with a curved face plate and even if there was one the chances of it matching your curve would be slim. Or you could run without the faceplate or try to find a freestanding stove to fit in or go on the hearth.

All masonry. I was thinking about lining it with a flex liner and I wouldn't really need a shroud. Any idea on the model stove/insert that would apply?
Thanks for the input so far!

I was thinking about lining it with a flex liner
Well you need to install a liner for the insert regardless of whether you use a shroud or not.

Some inserts like mine can be freestanding or an insert and you do not need a surround/shroud for them. If you go the shroudless look paint the firebox black.

A local sheet metal shop might be able to bend you up something, the surrounds are just plain sheet metal painted black.

A local sheet metal shop might be able to bend you up something, the surrounds are just plain sheet metal painted black.
I agree but with most inserts you will run into a problem because the mounting point is flat and I doubt you would have enough depth to mount a curved plate on them

I think I'd leave off the front trim panel (shroud) on the insert and install the stove without it.

It's actually not a bad look for some inserts.

Status
Not open for further replies.