Custom damper for England stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Cotton 509

Aug 1, 2022
Oklahoma
I’m looking for ideas on making a custom internal damper for my Englander stove. My problem is believe it or not, it vents too well and I’m losing a ton of heat up the chimney. I’ve already built a fire plate shelf for inside and it still vents too hard. Thanks for the ideas!!

What model Englander stove? There is no need for an internal damper. Usually one is put in the stove pipe. On some models the boost air intakes can be also blocked.
What is the "fire plate" and how does this work? What are the stove top temps? What are the flue temps?

What model Englander stove? There is no need for an internal damper. Usually one is put in the stove pipe. On some models the boost air intakes can be also blocked.
What is the "fire plate" and how does this work? What are the stove top temps? What are the flue temps?
IMG_0455.jpeg
This is my set up. Class A all the way out the roof. No accurate flue temp, the lower surface runs about 550 and the top roughly 475.

Why did you run class A the whole way it really complicates things

Why did you run class A the whole way it really complicates things
I ran class A because this stove is huge and due to it venting out the back, it would have needed to be so much further away from the wall that it would have placed it too far into my living space. p.s. it vents extremely well. LoL

Moved to the Classics forum. This is an old dogger.
Double-wall stove pipe only needs 6" clearance from the wall. That would be more practical and easy to damper.

FWIW, this stove will never be that efficient. It's always going to lose a lot of heat up the flue. With chimney pipe attached to the stove there is no way of knowing how much heat.