Englander 28DDSS H/M burn times.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Cotton 509

Aug 1, 2022
Oklahoma
I have a Englander model 28DDSS H/M in my home. I’m new to heating with wood. I would like to see if there’s any ideas on how to get longer burn times between loading. It’s basically constructed like the Fisher and Woodsman stoves from what I can tell. I have already fabricated a smoke shelf inside. I’m not sure if it’s drafting too hard or not. I had to run class A chimney to the back for space limitations. It definitely drafts well. Any advice would be appreciated, I’m not wanting to get a new stove. I’ve been told they’re more efficient but, In my part of the country the wind can blow just right and it’ll knock out power to the grid, therefore I like this stove because I can cook on it. Thanks in advance.

53D49172-0DD0-4C0E-BCB1-BE3C28BF9302.jpeg

I have a Englander model 28DDSS H/M in my home. I’m new to heating with wood. I would like to see if there’s any ideas on how to get longer burn times between loading. It’s basically constructed like the Fisher and Woodsman stoves from what I can tell. I have already fabricated a smoke shelf inside. I’m not sure if it’s drafting too hard or not. I had to run class A chimney to the back for space limitations. It definitely drafts well. Any advice would be appreciated, I’m not wanting to get a new stove. I’ve been told they’re more efficient but, In my part of the country the wind can blow just right and it’ll knock out power to the grid, therefore I like this stove because I can cook on it. Thanks in advance.

View attachment 304255
Not really much you can do other than a baffle plate honestly what pipe temps are you running at?

Btw there is absolutely no reason you can't cook on a modern stove just like that one.

Not really much you can do other than a baffle plate honestly what pipe temps are you running at?

Btw there is absolutely no reason you can't cook on a modern stove just like that one.
I can’t really get an accurate temp on the pipe because it’s insulated. The collar on the back is about the same as the top larger surface area, that’s running about 3-375F. I thought modern stoves didn’t get as hot on the top?

I can’t really get an accurate temp on the pipe because it’s insulated. The collar on the back is about the same as the top larger surface area, that’s running about 3-375F. I thought modern stoves didn’t get as hot on the top?
Why did you have to run class a all the way down? I can't really give you to much advice with no pipe temps or view of the fire.

Most modern stoves will easily run up to 800 degrees on the top.

Why did you have to run class a all the way down? I can't really give you to much advice with no pipe temps or view of the fire.

Most modern stoves will easily run up to 800 degrees on the top.
I ran class A due to clearance. If I had ran single wall it would have pushed my stove further into my living space than I wanted. I’ve just been seeing conversations about Fisher stoves and the Timberline stoves saying they’re getting between 7-8 hour burns. I just can’t see how.

I ran class A due to clearance. If I had ran single wall it would have pushed my stove further into my living space than I wanted. I’ve just been seeing conversations about Fisher stoves and the Timberline stoves saying they’re getting between 7-8 hour burns. I just can’t see how.
You could have run double wall pipe. Or shielded single wall.

Regardless yes that stove should easily be able to get 8 hours of burn time. Not cleanly but it should do it.

How much wood are you putting in the stove? How are you running it

How much wood are you putting in the stove? How are you running it
I’ve been putting 3 pieces of split wood over a piece of fire log to start it. Leaving the air controls fully open until it reaches 400-450F then dialing them down to about a quarter to a half turn open. In about 2 hours I add another log when those are about gone. At night, my wife normally puts about 3 logs on around 11pm and completely closes the air inlets. (I’m assuming it’s pulling just enough around the tongue and groove doors to keep it going.) Then at 2am when I wake up for work I put 2 splits on. It does keep very hot coals for a very long time after the fire is out.

I’ve been putting 3 pieces of split wood over a piece of fire log to start it. Leaving the air controls fully open until it reaches 400-450F then dialing them down to about a quarter to a half turn open. In about 2 hours I add another log when those are about gone. At night, my wife normally puts about 3 logs on around 11pm and completely closes the air inlets. (I’m assuming it’s pulling just enough around the tongue and groove doors to keep it going.) Then at 2am when I wake up for work I put 2 splits on. It does keep very hot coals for a very long time after the fire is out.
Well yeah if you are only putting a few logs in it's not going to last long. Those people getting 8 hours are filling the stove up with wood

Well yeah if you are only putting a few logs in it's not going to last long. Those people getting 8 hours are filling the stove up with wood
That’s what I figured. It’s just been a learning curve trying to understand it. I just installed it about 2 weeks ago. I’m starting to get comfortable enough with the stove to put more than a few in it. I just wanted to make sure nothing was getting too hot before I loaded it up. It’s easier to cool down a few logs than a blazing inferno. Thank you for talking to me, I appreciate the information.

Only if the stove has a convective top, with an air gap between the top and the actual firebox top. There are many modern stoves with the stove top directly exposed that will get up to 650-700º if desired. In addition to using less wood, you can see the fire.

since you can't see what's going on inside it let a thermometer tell you if you are running at the right temperature. closing down the air completely on that stove might be too much and you will be running too cool and making creosote in your chimney.