Custom Gas Insert?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

MisterJones

Sep 23, 2020
Oregon
Hi All,

I have a custom wood burning masonry fireplace in my mid-century home that I'd like to convert to gas. However, The opening is a two sided corner style and there appears to be a support beam in the corner so I can't find an insert that will fit. Is there such thing as a custom built gas insert? Or am I limited to going to logs if I want to retain the style of the fireplace and switch to gas?

Much appreciated.

Sure thing. Here's what it looks like.

Attachments

• IMG_0431.jpg
    IMG_0431.jpg
    161.6 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_0434.jpg
    IMG_0434.jpg
    216.8 KB · Views: 107
AFAIK, there are no corner type inserts. I have, however, seen gas inserts installed in corner fireplaces.
You will need to have a short side wall fabricated from steel , durarock or masonry.
The insert would be installed in the long side of the opening just like one would be installed in a normal fireplace...

Maybe a stove could look nice